1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius with 320,000Klm

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JL2001, May 18, 2009.

1. JL2001

JL2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys,
    Excellent forum. Lots of great info!

I just picked up an X cab 2001 Prius for cheap intending on moding it for full electric.
    The problem is I bought it cheap and it therefore does not go very fast.

The OBD codes are P1636 and P3002 when I drive it very slowly. ie under 2 MPH. There is a whining sound eminating from the front end.
    Sounds like a tranny whine. Does the invertor whine when its going south?

When I punch the accelerator the triangle of doom illuminates and gives additional codes P3125 and P3100.

Its a cheap scanner so I don't have and better DTC details.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated before I tear out the transaxle.
    Regards,
    John

2. dpwriter

dpwriter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi JL2001,

Nice piece of information!

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    John. I didn't see this originally and I see now that you've gotten no response. I can't help you much with your issues other than to say there's been a smattering of transaxle failures in the 2001-2003 Prius. Beyond that, all I can do is refer you to other members who might be able to help. Two in particular who have extensive experience with the technical side of the 2001-2003 Prius are Patrick Wong (that's also his PC user name) and Bob Wilson (user name bwilson4web). You might consider sending them a PM since they didn't see your post.

Also, since you're adventurous enough to tear down the transaxle, the Yahoo Prius Technical Stuff group might be of interest to you. Bob and Patrick are among the active members there too.