1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 vs 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tntna, Dec 10, 2004.

1. tntna

tntna New Member

We've had the 2005 for 700 miles now. I wont try to contrast the differences because the 2005 far outcries the 2001. However, the 2005 just isn't using the batteries solo anywhere near what the 2001 does. I know Toyota changed the Hybrid system so the SOC is maintained within set limits, but the difference is dramatic. Someone else suggested that the 2005 needs broken in. I hope that's the case. In the 2001 I can attain the 35 mph rate lift the foot and depress lightly and cruise down said road on battery. Same road, same process, the ICE keeps getting turned back on. I'm not driving a long distance, say half mile.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The objective of the HSD is not to maximize the amount of time the car runs in golf-cart mode. The objective is to reduce emissions and to go farther on less gas. The 2004/2005 is bigger, heavier, and more powerful than the 2001, and yet gets better mileage.

Don't worry about how far it goes in golf-cart mode, or how quick it is to go back to running the ICE. Just enjoy the overall cleanness and efficiency (and, of course, gadgetry) of this remarkable car.

(And, yes, it will improve as it breaks in.)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've mentioned this before. Many who've owned both the classic and the 2G Prius have reported exactly the opposite of what you're experiencing. But, as Daniel pointed out, it doesn't matter. If you can't go into EVmode there's a reason for it, don't sweat it, just enjoy the drive.

My experience is that it became much easier to go into and maintain EV mode after several thousand miles...I don't know if it was b/c of battery break in, some preprogrammed thing in the HV ECU, break in of the mechanical components, my experience, or a combination of multiple of the above. Anyway, in my 4.5 mile drive to my kid's daycare (max speed 45mph) from a cold start I spend about 2/3 of the trip with ICE running. On the way home maybe 1/2 of the trip. But again, who cares...let the car do what it's programmed to do and don't sweat it.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since I changed tires at 15,000 miles with my 2004 and I also had a 2001, it's pretty obvious to me between vehicle break-in and tire break-in and the current cold temperatures that stealth will be quite difficult in your new car anyway.

So, you'll have to wait to do a true comparison.

My findings are that the HSD model is noticably easier to drive in stealth.

5. tntna

tntna New Member

Ok, I won't mention it any more... :)

I drive both cars throughout the week and it's just sort of annoying not being able to get the ICE off as much in the 2005. Yes it's true that the cold temps and tires and newness are playing a role. I'll see how it behaves next spring.

Funny thing is on the way to work today I noticed that the 05 was running the ICE on a downgrade while I was coasting. I noticed the wife left the AC on low. Argh!