1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 won't go into "ready" mode immediately

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ZackMurphy, Jan 19, 2007.

1. ZackMurphy

ZackMurphy New Member

Almost every time I get into to start it, the car is slow to get into ready mode. I'll turn the key to the "on" position, but it almost acts like it needs to charge up or something. So I sit there with the key in "on" position, and eventually it starts. If I turn it to "start" and hold it there, this does not appear to help.

After anywhere from 20 seconds to 3 minutes, it will power up (I know because the radio comes on when it's actually ready). Then it starts and runs like a champ.

It never stalls, and everything else on the car works fine. And when I first got the car (at about 50k miles), this didn't happen.

The only other issue I've ever had was about 10k miles ago - the check engine ! light came on, but then it went off before I could get to a dealership, and it never came back.

It sounds like a battery issue to me, but upon a quick conversation with the dealership by phone, that didn't come up, and they sounded a little puzzled. So I have no idea.

Thanks for any ideas you guys have.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This does sound like it may be related to a weak 12 volt battery. Please have that checked.

DAS

3. walkinghat

walkinghat Junior Member

I see this was in January. Any progress? I have an 01 as well that is acting up. It will make a clicking sound like a solenoid with a dead battery. Are your panel lights woking at this point?

Are you saying that you turn it to start, let go and it takes that long to start the ICE?

Have you tried a new 12V?

4. ZackMurphy

ZackMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walkinghat @ Mar 7 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]401993[/snapback]</div>
    I ordered a new 12V from the dealer locally - they expect it in about 2 weeks from now. Yes, it took 6 weeks total, to get a simple battery.

Yes, I do get a clicking sound as it tries to charge up, and it continues to act as if it is a dull 12V. Panel lights work, but only as if they have to charge first. Put the key in, turn to "on," then wait until the power seems availabel (radio comes on) then I start it. Usually that works. VERY frustraing, but perhaps to be solved soon.

Amazing. But I'll update as I can.

5. rinnyboo

rinnyboo New Member

We have an 01 prius and a similar happened to us at the beginning of February. Whenever we started the car it would be slow to come up "Ready." Eventually we couldn't get the car to ever start without a jump. We ended up having the 12V battery replaced. Now it starts up immediately. :)

6. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2001prius @ Mar 8 2007, 12:24 AM) [snapback]402096[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a link for 12volt prius battery hope it can help someone

http://www.elearnaid.com/12vobaforpr2.html