1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Engine Races without foot on accelerator - Red Triangle On

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JWLinkin, Apr 10, 2013.

1. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2002 Prius with 69,000 miles on it. One owner - older couple. The battery went bad so they traded it in. I bought the car from a broker who had a cell in the batttery fixed.

After driving the car about 500 miles the red triangle and red car with exclamation point came on. I drove the car back home from work - about 18 miles and the warning lights all turned off. I drove the car another 900 miles before the red warning lights all came on again. I drove a few more miles and the engine suddenly began racing without my foot on the accelerator. I braked and put the car in neutral. I parked the car - ate dinner, and after dinner and the red warning lights were still on but the racing of the engine had stopped. Drove the car home -- about 15 miles and the engine began racing again -- this time the accelerator was not stuck -- and the car didn't go very fast seemed like it was stuck in a low gear -- didn't want to push it so I went about 35 mph. The noise all seemed to becoming from under the hood.

I put an OBD tester on it and came up with Codes P3022, apparently hybrid battery fault, and P3077 - hybrid battery fan. At least this is what I found the codes to mean on the internet.

So, now I have the car parked. I don't know what to do. If it is a bad battery -- I'll buy one and have it installed (not from the Toyota Dealer who wants an arm, a leg and my first born child to do this). The car is in terriffic shape and I think it is worth a new battery. Is the problem just the battery or is it something else or the battery and something else expensive? Could a bad battery cause the racing of the engine and the hybrid fan warning.

Let me add that today was the first warm day -- about 80 degrees. Also, I drove the car about 35 miles without stopping -- the furthest I've driven the car -- It is usally used to commute to work 17 miles each way.
    Many thanks -- I'm perplexed and don't know what to do next.

2. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm answering my own post. I found that the fan wires were not connected. So, I connected them. As it turned out, it didn't make any difference. The warm weather is here and after about 30 minutes on the road, the red warning lights come on. After it sits for awhile and I clear the codes the red lights go off -- but they keep coming back on after 30 minutes of driving.

Tim, at a hybrid battery place in California told me the engine racing is because the engine is trying to charge cells that won't charge.

Looks like I'm going to buy a battery. Toyota is too expensive, so I'm going elsewhere and buy one from the internet. I'm unsure where to buy? Suggestions?