1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Needs Inverter

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Early Fan Nora, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Early Fan Nora

Early Fan Nora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2002 died on I-95 in Northern VA while my daughter was driving back to college; the dealer says it needs an inverter.
    Price for diagnosis: $420
    Price of repair: $5,000. Price of part: $4,000. There were a bunch of codes, most of which cleared, leaving P3125.

:( (There's no emoticon available for sobbing mom; this is as close as I can get!)

I called Toyota, opened a case, but they say the car is too far out of warranty and declined to help me with the cost of the repair. (>100k miles)

Are there folks in the Washington DC area who can repair it? Buy it? What do you Prius pros recommend?

2. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would go with a used one. they are out there if you look .. Just be careful to get one that works.. A used will cost you around $400.. It takes about 3 hours from start to finish to replace it. I would guess a good garage would do it for $300 labor? Sorry I do not know anybody that will work on them in DC area..good luck ..PS>>> I have a good one in my shop if you are looking for one..just send me a message..

scotman27 and JMD like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Start by calling these folks and asking who they recommend:
    Contact Us | Auto Career Development Center

1-800-939-7909

They train people to fix hybrids and would have a fairly current list of folks they've trained in the DC area.

So could we talk about you doing the repair?
    • Do you have a garage or covered area to do the work?
    • Do you have time to do the work?
    • Do you have the interest to do the work?
    • Do you have tools or experience with things automotive?
    If you have the will, we'll work with you get 'get 'er done'. <grins>

Bob Wilson

scotman27 and usnavystgc like this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let us know the outcome.

The dealer is very expensive. Try a good independent shop and a salvage part or used part is much less money.

5. Early Fan Nora

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bob, That was great advice to make contact with Auto Career Development Center. Their website Auto Careers Development Center - Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Repair Training has a list of qualified service centers; I found that there is an accredited independent shop that's about an hour away from the dealer where the car is now. It's Mac's Service Center in Ashland, VA. I'm much more optimistic as Mac sounds very knowledgeable and mentioned that the inverters on the Gen Is are actually very reliable; he thinks it might be a false negative. I'll let y'all know how it goes with them.

As to the suggestion that I do the repair myself, I'm flattered that you even took the time to ask! I changed a tire once (about 5 years ago), but that's about the extent of my car repair knowledge/skill/ability. I admire anyone who is so gifted, but have to admire from afar.

Thanks for the input!

Nora

6. Early Fan Nora

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mac's Service Center in Ashland, VA, is a treasure for those of us who love our Prii -- but who need someone else to execute repairs! In contrast to the dealer's estimate of $5,000, Mac's price was $2,300 - for the inverter and a tune-up. Oh, and he gives a 36k/3 yr warranty on his work. He's about 90 miles from DC, but that's where I'll be going from now on. I'm thinking I have a shot at beating the 290k someone else reported on this forum.

Many thanks again for the lead!

usnavystgc and bwilson4web like this.
  7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Awesome Nora. Thanks for the follow up.

This just goes to show you how the dealers are actually losing business by trying to rape the customers that do come in. By going too high, they lost you. If any dealers are reading this, take note.

scotman27 likes this.