1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Classic Nav Install SUCCESS!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mlibanio, Aug 27, 2008.

1. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my fantastic news. Installation of Nav in my beautiful Prius is completed. It all works, and thanks to wiring diagrams found on Prius Technical Group and Prius Mod Yahoo groups, it was a relative sinch. For those interested, I can send instructions on how it is done. Also I learned that that ANY GEN 3 nav will work with Prius, either from a Lexus LS430, RX300, Toyota Landcruiser, GX470, LX470 will work fine. Further, ANY Toyota Navigation antenna will work fine too. Floor Harness #3 is all you need, whether you have side air bags or not. Total cost for all parts was only $660!!! Thank you ebay! Oh and I LOVE the maintenance screen when pressing the INFO button. It even has reminders for my Wedding Anniversary and a birthday option too! I LOVE MY CLASSIC!!!

Now I need all of your help. The nav disc that came with my unit is out of date. I want to buy the newest disc from Toyota, but I get conflicting information from different Toyota dealerships. I would prefer to hear the opinions of all here as the Newest version that I can put in my car. I think its version 7.1 but can anyone confirm this?
    Thanks.

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i might be interested, when i can afford it! i have a 2007 prius tho

did it require like motion sensors or like a gyros to tell it where the car is going when it has no nav signal?

3. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Without pics, it didn't happen (the install of the Nav). :-p

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    how about typing something up, with pictures, all the information consolidated, and a parts list and giving that information to that john1701a guy, so he could stick it up on his website

5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here is the answer to your question
    Gen(2)3 v.07.1 is part # 86807-12016. (01-03 Prius)
    I would look for it on Ebay, good luck. Search for "Toyota navigation dvd disk 86807-12016". The dealer will want too much, about 50% what you already have in the entire system.
    I admire your dilegence.

6. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Actually I used John1701a site to get the necessary parts. They are completely identical to his listing. The 33060 unit is not necessary as in other postings.

As for pictures, I could kick myself in the head for not taking some. However, give me a few days guys and I promise I will have precise instructions for all of you Classic owners out there who want to give it a try. It is so worth it and not as hard as I though it was going to be! t took me less than 6 hours total installation time. Not the 60 hours some people quote, and nor does it require massive dash removal (for 2002 and 2003 owners, sorry 2001's!!) I am enjoying every second I am in the car now!

As for the "headache" of finding a location for the GPS antenna and the nonsense of taking the dash apart, I laughed my head off! All you Classic owners will know that around the speedometer in the middle, there is a plastic bezel that goes around it. Pull that off and stick the antenna under the dash in behind the speedo (it squished perfectly and lots of room for wiring), then drop the cable down inside the dash, it should go right down, then run the wiring under the carpet. It easily reaches the nav ECU. Buy the antenna on ebay, there is a guy that sells them for $45.00!!! Brand new too! Toyota asked me for $464.80!!!

7. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the newest nav dvd i dont think will work with the older navi from toyota, theres a way to create a new DVD using the old software with new maps and POI's, i currently have the 7.1 dvd image i created from a friend, but i have not purchased any double layer DVD's to do the conversion.

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They make an updated, "latest disk" version for all generations of the Toyota nav systems. They are different 7.1 disks for each generation. I listed the appropriate one for this application above..

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been poking around john1701a.com without stumbling on the listing you mean; is there a link you could give?

Thanks,
    -Chap

10. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi there,
    the parts listing is on this website. Please note that in Canada, we can also use generation 3 unit 86841-33060 NAV ECU unit in our cars. The difference is that it will give bi-lingual support as well as a few other options over 86841-47020 like the ability to search by Phone Number. 86841-33060 will also permit the addition of a microphone so that you can speak your destination and other commands and it will follow them. Only one dealership carries that microphone, Clarkson Toyota in California and it works great. Part number is 86750-44020. Its only 50 + shipping and totally worth it!

Installing GPS Navigation in a 2001 Prius

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks! When you say "in Canada", does that mean the 33060 unit won't (or might not) work in a US Prius?

-Chap

12. shoaibmtv

shoaibmtv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    toyota prius 2002 navigation

hi
    My name is Shoaib and I just bought a 2002 used toyota prius. I am very interested trying puting navigation in it. can you please help me. first of all where can i find the navgiation unit. I heard you said that 3 rd generation navigation unit will work.?

thanks