1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius dash hvac controls not working.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Lisa Boughamer, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Lisa Boughamer

Lisa Boughamer New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, I just bought a 2002 & it has no heat or ac, the controls in the center display do nothing, they don’t light up & don’t turn anything on. All other controls aside from the hvac work. I pulled the console out & checked connections all were good. I checked fuses & resistance on associated relays & those tested good, I went to the junk yard & pulled the console out of another 02 Prius thinking maybe it was the circuit board which it still could be, maybe both were bad but the donor console is the same story. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I’ve searched for others with the same issue & can’t find anything. Thank you

Bruce Berquist likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Has anyone tried to get codes thru the port? Does the car run and drive and turn on and all that sort of thing when the car does run and drive do you have any yellow and red lights staying on on the dash?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think the Gen 1 HVAC will give you codes over the diagnostic port. It just has its own way of blinking them out. In Gen 3 you can get them either way.

Here's a post on how to get the codes from Gen 1 HVAC. Worth a try, but if the system is really as dead as described, there's a chance nothing happens.

I'm not really sure what to suggest. I haven't heard this one before. But I do want to congratulate the OP on apparently getting the center finish panel in and out on a 21-year-old New Mexico car without splintering it.

ronlewis and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe there is a junkyard over in Albuquerque that has a few of these of course I probably won't help with your problem I don't know.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The A/C lights and controls that you see are on the "instrument panel circuit board", 55935A here.

It's connected to another, horizontal circuit board, 88650B here, which is mislabeled as "radio amplifier" on parts.toyota.com, oops. They got the "amplifier" part right. That board is the "A/C amplifier", which is an older historical name for what people would just call an A/C ECU nowadays.

[​IMG]

The instrument circuit board connects to the A/C amplifier by a little flat ribbon cable that slides into a "zero-insertion-force" connector (which is really only zero-insertion-force when you know the way its little clamp works). It is worth double-checking the connection there.

There are connectors on the opposite edge of the A/C amplifier board where it connects to all the wiring that lets it wiggle the HVAC bits. So those connections have to be good also.

Have you tried swapping both of those boards, or just one of them so far?

6. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The check engine just came on today I can’t find my scanner so I’m going to take it to have the codes pulled tomorrow. It runs & drives just no hvac controls & on start up it makes this loud grumbling sound not from the engine but from the right side under the car for about 5 minutes until the electric motor kicks on & sometimes when driving at low speed when the gas engine kicks on. I cleaned out the throttle body, there was some oil in it & I changed the spark plugs, no change. I believe I found the hvac control issue as I tested continuity through the main heater relay & there was no continuity through the coil so I ordered a new relay.

That was not easy lol

#6 Lisa Boughamer, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2023
  7. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only tried swapping the one board I’m going to have to go through this some more. I got the codes and they were only for the cat & misfire on cylinders 1,2,4 which was due to a ripped up intake hose which I replaced & those codes are gone, there’s nothing pertaining to the hvac system. I also got the new heater relay in & confired it’s good & still nothing pertaining to the hvac system functions. I’m looking through the testing & wiring diagram on prodemand as I write this. Thank you for the diagrams

#7 Lisa Boughamer, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2023
  8. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are the boards, they actually both came in the unit I pulled from a 2001, there does appear to be any damage. I assume it would be a problem in the bottom board though as that’s where the ribbon from the controls connects

Attached Files:

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's worth being extra careful with the connection of that ribbon cable. Those zero-insertion-force connectors take a delicate touch.

A code scanner tool will not show you HVAC codes on a Gen 1. You're stuck with the blink method (which of course only works if it is responding to you enough to blink).

10. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ya they don’t blink, they don’t do anything. I tested for power at the relay, nothing, at the linear controller (resistor), nothing. From the wiring diagram it looks like the signal goes from the ignition to the body control ecu then to the heater relay & on to the rest so I’m thinking it’s an issue in the body control ecu which of course is behind the dash on the drivers side so I’m going to pull that apart this week

11. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although I could be wrong about the routing because this diagram is a little confusing

Attached Files:

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I find the diagrams from Toyota easier to follow than that one. Where did you get it?

If I have followed your story right, it doesn't really seem like you are chasing a problem with the blower, linear controller (not resistor), or htr relay. It seems you are chasing a much more basic problem with the A/C amplifier showing no sign of life whatever. What voltages are you seeing at its +B and IG terminals?

13. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the diagram from prodemand, it’s not very good. I’ll get out & test everything again in the morning & post the results on here. The issue is that there is zero response from the ac amplifier, the dials light up if the lights are on but no lights or response from the hvac buttons or dials, everything else on the center bezel works but the hvac functions & that’s on the original & donor panels so the issue has to be somewhere in the wiring going into that connector at some point

14. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The outside temperature doesn’t have any reading either, I don’t know if that has anything to do with the problem but it’s the only other thing in the center console not function

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree that's probably a good assumption, but don't go too far and make it ironclad, because it does occasionally happen that a bum part gets replaced with a bum part, and sometimes those cases take the very longest to solve, because we've ruled it out as not possible.

16. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I’m open to the possibility that two ac amplifiers from two 20 year old vehicles are both trashed lol The only testing procedure it gives me for the amplifier is to test the ac magnetic clutch relay & wiring to it so I’ll do that in the morning & cross my fingers that relay is bad though I highly doubt it as I’ve already tested all the relays if not at least it may confirm the amplifiers are toast & I won’t drive myself crazy anymore

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If that's the only procedure 'it' gives you, you're making your life awfully difficult by using the wrong 'it'. Maybe 86 prodemand, and turn to the real repair manual, "problem symptoms table", start at the top entry for "Whole function of the does not operate." (Yes, the translator left out the noun, but that's the right start point for the problem symptom you've got.)

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

The outside temperature sensor is actually wired to the ECM. The A/C amplifier finds out the temperature by saying "hey ECM, tell me your outside temperature reading" over the BEAN.

The multifunction display also finds out the temperature by asking somebody who knows it. I'm not positive whether it asks the ECM directly, or asks the A/C amplifier. But if it asks the A/C amplifier and the A/C amplifier isn't working or isn't getting power at its IG terminal, that would make this symptom no surprise.

#17 ChapmanF, Apr 11, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  18. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get 11.47v at the ig terminal and 12v at +B

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Allowing that I didn't watch you measure, if those had been my measurements I'd figure it's probably the A/C amplifier.

20. Lisa Boughamer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya that’s my thought as well, I guess I’ll have to get a 3rd one lol