1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius door cylinders and actuators. Also need a battery rebuilt

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by rjm, Jan 16, 2015.

1. rjm

rjm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I

(Not sure how much crossover there is, but I posted this on the yahoo groups prius forum too.)

Is there a source other than a dealer for cylinders and actuators? My 2002's ignition cylinder went out, which I had replaced for about $250. Now the key won't turn either door lock, and the actuators have been toast for ages. I plan on replacing them myself--is this reasonable for someone with moderate skills?

Also looking for any recommendations for rebuilding the hybrid battery. Car won't move now. In the NELA Highland Park/Pasadena/Glendale area.

Referrals or recommendations welcome! Thanks!

Best,

Riley

2. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Do the door locks turn with a spare (less worn) key, like your "valet" key? If so, a locksmith could probably make the door lock cylinders work with your ignition key. If you get new cylinders, a locksmith (or the dealer?) would still have to set them up to work with your key. As a much cheaper alternative, you could take your registration and VIN # to a Toyota dealer and they can cut you a new "dumb" key (no transponder) that will probably operate your doors and trunk. This should only cost $5 to $10.

The actuators are a more difficult fix. Do a search. There are posts that describe how to replace the motors inside the actuators using inexpensive motors available on ebay. My locks are essentially all manual locks now too, but for me, it doesn't seem worth the hassle of tearing all 4 doors apart, and dissassembling the actuators to make this repair.

Again, do a search for posts on rebuilding/replacing the hybrid battery. There is already much information available on this board, including some very recent discussions.

3. rjm

rjm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The valet key (the one where you open the trunk from the inside instead of using the key--never did understand that!) does open the passenger door, but not the driver's side. I'll do more searching on the subject. Most of my searching has been for the battery, not the locks, tho. I was thinking I might was well do the actuators at the same time, but as you point out, it's more difficult. I didn't know about "dumb" keys.

The searching I've done has turned up good info. It's local resources and/or recommendations at this point.

Thanks very much for the reply. It helped.

Best,

Riley

4. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    rjm likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Stick your key (ok, a key that works!) into the trunk lock, and turn it 90 degrees to the left. Take the key back out. Now the trunk doesn't open from the inside, and you hand the car off to the valet. Take some of the mystery out? :)

-Chap

6. rjm

rjm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ha! I'll be! In my defense, I got it used! Thanks!