1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Gen I (NWH11) Tires and Shocks Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by James_Indiana, Apr 3, 2013.

1. James_Indiana

James_Indiana New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2002 Prius Gen 1 (NWH11) has 92K miles and 3rd set of tires is at EOL. All three (3) sets of tires lasted roughly 30K each. Tire sets were 1st OEM Bridgestone; 2nd Bridgestone OEM Replacements; 3rd Yokohama Avid Touring. Alignment was performed at 2nd and 3rd set.
    Question: Any suggestions on a good set of new tires for this car?

On a related note, as I was inspecting the tires, I noticed the rubber boot concealing the shiny chrome hydraulic cylinder of both front shock absorbers have disintegrated.
    Questions: Is this an imminent concern requiring immediate attention? Barring mechanical dis-assembly, is there anything I can do to repair/replace these rubber boots?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    At your milage I would consider having the shock absorbers replaced along with the protective boots. To replace the boots the shocks have to be removed so it would be pointless to replace them with your now tired shock absorbers. This would also improve the ride and reduce tyre ware.

Tyres have come a long way in the past 11 years. For longevity use Michelin otherwise see " low rolling ressistance tyres current list" In yellow at the top of fuel ecconomy section.

John (Britprius)