1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius hops when coasting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tofani, May 10, 2009.

1. tofani

tofani New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a 2002 Prius with 35,000 miles. Today I was driving in town around 30mph and lifted the throttle to coast up to the next stop light. When I did this the car started hopping like I had four square tires. I was not braking. I expected to see the "check engine" light come on, but that was not the case. I drove the car aggressively
    for the next couple blocks and it has not happened again. Does anyone have any idea as to what may have caused this problem? I really don't want to bring it in to the dealership for them to charge me a $75 dianostic charge since it so far has only done this one time. Thanks!!!

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    On my 2001, on rare occasions when coming to a stop, the engine seems to be "fighting" the deacceleration. I usually just take my foot off and then back on the brakes and that seems to smooth it out. Never had anything happen in any case once I got to a stop.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also noticed this on occasion with my 2001. I think this is a little glitch in the car's design where the hybrid vehicle ECU gets confused. Since no warning lights come on there's no point reporting it to your dealer because the tech won't be able to take any useful action.

For those who know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle, the feeling is like you are slowing down the car without depressing the clutch pedal.

4. tofani

tofani New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Thanks for your input. Your description of driving a manual transmission and slowing down the car without depressing the clutch is exactly the way it acts. Thanks so much for the help!!!