1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Hybrid Battery Dead! Toyota Denies Warranty!!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Solag, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Solag

Solag New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2002 Toyota Prius hybrid battery just died a couple days ago at 85K! Took it to Toyota and was super frustrated when I found out that they voided my warranty because some modifications I did to the car.

They quoted the repairs to be a little over $4000.

I do not have the money to pay for these expensive repairs! Can anyone help me with some alternatives? :(

2. Toyotafreeman

Toyotafreeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sell it....Never get another one. I got a prius sitting in my yard with a inverter that needs repaired and more than likely a battery...These cars are good till they mess up...then the mess up your wallet. My suggestion would be to get a Toyota Paseo....Those cars get 40 mpg....they never tear up either....awesome cars

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what kind of modifications?

1 person likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What warranty would normally be on a 2002 with 85,000 miles?

I thought the battery was 8 years/80,000 miles on a 2002.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Find and install a Classic salvage battery.

2. Buy two 2G traction batteries, disassemble them and select 38 modules to install in the existing traction battery case.

Tell us what modifications you made.

landspeed, ou812 and dogfriend like this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I recommend contacting "Re-InVolt" who can provide a rebuilt battery with some warranty support.

Bob Wilson

7. Solag

Solag New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have installed a remote starter myself back in 2009. I think this is why Toyota voided the warranty.

Hmm..I am completely oblivious to what you have stated Patrick. Is what you are saying pretty much to rebuild the hybrid battery myself?

If you are, is that even possible?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Vancouver Prius taxis are pretty famous, and if I understand it, there are about two Prius shops there handling the maintenance. If you can talk to them you may get some help.

A remote starter seems pretty 'remote' from traction battery function, but it could be an uphill battle to reverse this Toyota decision.

10. Solag

Solag New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard that you can rebuild your dead Gen. I prius battery with Gen. II modules/cells or used Gen. I modules/cells. Is this a good idea? Apparently you can save lots of money doing this...

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. Solag

Solag New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm..that sounds really complicated but I will look into it. Thanks for the advice.

I am hoping to get my Prius running again within a couple of days *crosses fingers*

13. Solag

Solag New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ***Update***
    After a couple of days of my Prius sitting in the garage due to a dead hybrid battery, I finally got it up and running!!

My warranty was voided because of my remote starter and Toyota quoted me roughly $4000 to replace my dead hybrid battery..

But thanks to Patrick Wong and his advice, I replaced my own dead G1 battery with the G2 battery module for less than 600$!!

While searching for how to fix my dead Prius battery myself (cause that would be the cheapest option) I stumbled across the Prius Hybrid Battery Repair guide.

I totally recommend this guide for Prius owners in the same situation that I was in. They taught me how to replace everything with step-by-step instructions along with photographs of each step.

After getting all the parts together, I spent 1 afternoon and my Prius is now running as good as new!!

I am super excited that my baby has come back to life!

Thanks for everything again Priuschat and Patrick Wong!

Cristino, John Hatchett and nerfer like this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent news!

Bob Wilson

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. Solag

Solag New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick..

No I did not take pictures along the way of my repairs, and as for those questions, it is hard to answer them without really going into depth and writing an essay lol..

If you wanna know the answer to these questions, you should check out the repair guide because all the information is laid out in a straight forward and easy to understand format.

sorry for the late reply

Cheers~

17. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    great to hear good news!

18. OldArmy94

OldArmy94 Crazy Prius Man

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think you should've challenged Toyota on this issue. I don't think that they can simply dismiss the warranty claim unless they can prove that the installation was the cause of your battery failure.

19. brittonj1

brittonj1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick,
    If possible I would appreciate your advice on a similar issue. I have a 2002 Toyota Prius with 126k on it and it just started acting up recently. One specific incident was when the check engine light came on and then the next day on the way to work the car was revving really high and at the same time the BRAKE light on the dash to right of MPH came on in red. I pulled over and shut the car off to make sure if there was any issues around the tires or anything under the hood that could have caused it. When I started it up again the brake light was off and the car drove normally again, however the check engine light was still on. When I took it to an auto parts store to have them read the codes for me they showed my 3 diff P3006 codes that would have accumulated over 2 or 3 days with minimal driving under 130 total miles during those 2 -3 days. Do you feel I should go with your same advice from the above msg?
    Thanks for any input.

20. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a 0. option: You can buy Gen I modules from Reinvolt (makers of the $1475 Gen I drop in replacement battery using Gen II modules) for $10 + shipping on ebay, seller tautomotive. That requires a level of expertise similar to option #2. It is also a slight bit longer project, requiring that you be able to correctly identify whatever bad modules have infected your battery, but it is conceivable that you could fix it for $50 or less. Such level of DIY requires that you be familiar with car repair and can operate a digital voltmeter.