1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Hybrid Warning Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thebat, Aug 29, 2008.

1. thebat

thebat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    For the fourth time since I bought my 2002 Prius new the scary Hybrid System Warning Light has come on. One time it was nothing at all (though it took towing to a dealer 120 miles away and all sorts of trauma to find that out). Once it resulted in them replacing my gas tank. And the most recent was two weeks ago when I ran out of gas (I know, I know!).

Anyhow, I am now 350 miles from home and 75 miles from the nearest dealer so of course it has come back on. The car is driving fine. The hybrid system seems to be running fine (it switched to electric when I stopped, I'm getting fine mileage). The gas tank is 3/4 full. The local car repair shop got no codes when they hooked it up to their computer (though he did say their may be a data link he wasn't getting - his computer showed 2002 Prius, but did not have a separate category for the hybrid system).

I will certainly take it to the dealer when I get home, but I'm not really sure it's worth driving 150 miles round trip to the nearest dealer the day before I'm due to head home, especially since some family members are also heading back at the same time and can be a backup ride should something go awry. Am I being too cavalier?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you do not notice driveability problems and can be part of a caravan with other family members, you should be good to go. Please let us know what your dealer finds, when you have time to take the car in. Good luck on your return trip.

3. thebat

thebat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Thanks for the advice, Patrick. I ended up going ahead and using AAA to take it to the dealer in Tallahassee and they said it was a leak in the hybrid battery and that it would need to be replaced. However, they also said that there were no batteries in Tallahassee, Florida, or indeed the entire US, so rather than waiting around for 2 weeks, I should just go ahead and drive it home and get my dealer in Atlanta to order the battery. The drive home was uneventful and I took it in yesterday (of course they couldn't just take my word for it and order the battery, they had to see for themselves), and low and behold it needs a new hybrid battery.

Luckily, the battery is still under warranty and the car is still driving fine, so they told me to just hang on to it while they wait for the battery to come in and "if it dies, we'll give you a loaner."

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update. Please post the DTC logged. Also, have you been told when the new battery is expected to arrive?