1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Main Battery Problem Won't Start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fastestchess, Nov 8, 2006.

1. fastestchess

fastestchess New Member

Hello,

I am new to this forum, hopefully I can get some help from you guys. I tried to start my car today and it was completely dead. I read on the forums that the 12 volt battery needs to be changed. Ran to the dealer and bought the 12 volt battery ($133 plus tax). Installed it and now it wont crank.

It cracks but rattles and shuts off. Brake light shows up and so does engine light. I check my code and shows P1300 which is a ignitier circuit malfunction.

Does anyone here know what might be the problem? My warranty is up, my car has 78K on it. I am afraid that it might be the hybrid battery?

Thanks
    Ed

2. fastestchess

fastestchess New Member

I am still unable to start my car. After unplugging the battery and replugging it shows the ready light, starts, then shuts off. After that all it shows is the main battery problem.

Can someone please help, I don't have a car for work tomorrow.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi fastestchess, this sounds like a problem with one of the ignitors (individual transformers before the spark plugs) which I actually caused to my 2001 once.

First you or the mechanic have to confirm that all 4 ignitors are well-conencted especially #4 which has it's connector crammed into a small space. A toyota scan tool (THHT) might be required to clear trouble code(s). Beyond this, one or more of the ignitors may need to be replaced. Seems less likely that a spark plug could be the problem, but since you will be 'in the area', might as well remove and inspect those.

Be aware that you may be under the special service campaign for replacement of the engine knock sensor.

There are no doubt other explanations that would fit the described symptoms, but I really doubt that high-voltage battery failure is among them. The really bad news (you already know) is that the thing is undriveable so transport is needed to reach the repair shop. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like he said above, definitely don't jump to the conclusion that it's a problem with the main battery! The error code points to a problem with the ICE, not the battery or motor - The only thing you want an igniter circuit for is to ignite the gas in the engine!

I just had a horrible image flash through my mind of an igniter circuit sitting next to the battery with a warning label "drive nice, or we'll turn this battery into a Sony!"