1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius, making keys with no master

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Erock77, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Erock77

Erock77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So after 6-8 years or so of owning a car I think it's expected to lose your keys twice.

Seems programming a new key for the Prius classic is pretty simple from what I've read here. However it appears if I have no master key the computer just won't let you. I think the dealer said I'd have to get the ECU, immobilizer, transponder or something replaced which is crazy expensive ~$1,000 to get a new key made. I've gone about 3 years I think just being paranoid about losing my valet key being extra careful. I have no remotes left either.

Do any of you techy Prius geniuses know any cheaper way to get around this? Can't the computer be reset? Seems crazy to spend so much to copy a key. I read someone else saying a mechanic 'flashed' the ECU? which sounds risky and complicated.

2. OmegaLocksmith

OmegaLocksmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At Omega Locksmith we can take care of this for you I can send u 3 KEYS cut and reprogrammed for a fee of $400.00 shipped back 2 u

I will need your ECU and your VIN i will then explain how you can remove your ECU takes about 15 minutes.........

Im in chicago just so you know

If you google

immobiliser flashing in chicago

We are the 1st page with craigslist

Omega Locksmith in chicago

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or you can get a clone of the valet key that you have. A locksmith with the proper equipment can make one for about $60.

4. Erock77

Erock77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do many locksmiths have the equipment to program keys from a valet?

Omega I'll consider it, I'd like to explore more local options first. What will be the purpose of removing the ECU?

5. OmegaLocksmith

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The ECU needs to be Reflashed in order to accept new keys
    thats how this works on this make and model

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It shouldn't be too hard to locate someone who can clone a key. Just visit any locksmith, and if he doesn't have the equipment, he probably knows someone who does.

Here's a video about how a locksmith uses a key cloning machine:

7. OmegaLocksmith

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That cloner worn work UNLESS you already have a KEY in this case all keys are LOST so the ECU needs to be REFLASHED and keys need to be programmed

8. Erock77

Erock77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's been a while, but I have a followup on my 2002 key conundrum.
    There is one locksmith in my area with the equipment to reflash and program the ECU and new keys. The device was in repair or being replaced and after a few months I finally got around to seeing them last weekend. I bought a couple master keys online for relatively cheap and a remote.
    Again I still have the valet. The tech started working on the car while I got the new keys cut. He came back and said the immobilizer wasn't communicating through the ECU with his equipment and said only Toyota can bypass this issue. So I went to Toyota again with my story in hand, they informed me at first they could reflash, then talked to a tech with my VIN # and realized I have the model that requires the ECU be replaced. A new ECU w/ key programming will cost $1300.
    While I appreciate the effort of Toyota to make my car hard to steal, this is a bit overboard, $1300 to copy a friggin key?
    Do any of you experts have more feedback on this issue? Can you confirm this requirement to "replace" the ECU is legit?

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The reflash via communications isn't going to work with a Gen1. The Toyota solution is to replace the entire ECU. There are a few locksmith services that essentially rebuild the ECU to new condition. As a minimum, they connect directly to the memory chip to reflash it. Or it may even require unsoldering the memory chip in order to change its contents.

OmegaLocksmith is offering the service where the memory chip is accessed directly, rather than via a communications port. It's either that or a full replacement.

You might want to search more about clone keys. I recall there were several other threads on the issue.

1 person likes this.
  10. Erock77

Erock77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Rob, I may look into that next. Regarding cloning, the locksmith I worked with Saturday is going to get back to me whether they can do it with the valet.
    My mechanic experience is very limited, I'm very wary of pulling out a computerized part of my car and shipping it to Chicago from San Diego.