1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius MFD panel not turning on

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by EddieAtl, Jul 26, 2022.

1. EddieAtl

EddieAtl HYBRIDATL

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2002 Prius MFD panel not turning on. :(
    I would appreciate any insight.
    Thank you
    Ed

2. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried adjusting the brightness wheel (fader)?

3. EddieAtl

EddieAtl HYBRIDATL

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I can turn on the radio and it works, but the rest of the data doesnt show stays black.

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've had quite a few of these cars, and it's not uncommon for the screen to not work, or to partially work. My guess is the screen itself goes bad, based on what the partials look like. IIRC, Toyota wants a lot of money for a new one, and there's no way to tell if a used one works until you go to the trouble of installing it.

Which brings up the next issue - you gotta be pretty careful, and lucky, to remove the center dash section without it breaking. So, to fix your screen, also include the cost of a replacement dash (there's a source in a thread here, and instructions for removing it without breaking - if you're good). So, yank the dash, yank the screen, buy used screen install, hope it works or exchange it for another that you hope works, then buy a new dash and put it back together.

Or, get a cassette adapter that lets you plug your phone into the speaker system to play music, quit using the radio and the rest of the screen functions.