1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Misfiring, Hybrid sytem warning lights have come on

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by cabral255, Feb 5, 2009.

1. cabral255

cabral255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    So my car has been through two sets of spark plugs and it still seems to misfire after long and frequent stops. I I deliver meds to nursing homes so I do alot of miles. The hybrid system lights have come on once in a while, about 3 times in the last 3 months. I took it to the dealer and they said that the check engine light was on due to the misfire. They told me that they received a code for the hybrid system computer which is still covered under the warranty. They told me that the misfire could be causing the hybrid system computer code to come up. They told me to replace the spark plugs so I did. Well, now the car is still misfiring, although not as much, and they told me that it could be a coil pack, I have already replaced one coil pack on my own. Also, they told me that it the check engine light comes on again then I should bring it back in because it might really be the computer that needs to be replaced. What should I make of all of this? Should they really be replacing the computer now and they are just giving me the business? Please help!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first thing to do when troubleshooting a Prius is to pull the codes. The chart for the misfire DTCs on the 2004-2009 Prius says that if any other DTCs are output, those should be dealt with first. I realise you have the older 'Classic' model, but the engine is the same, barring that the redline has been raised to 5000rpm on the newer car.

I could summarize the page of the service manual here, but it wouldn't be as good as reading it yourself. Download this ZIP file (20MB) and go to SFI SYSTEM\cip0300.pdf. That explains the procedure for troubleshooting misfire codes. It refers to other chapters (e.g. 'page 11-1' means chapter 11) which can be found at Index of /Documents_2004/

Alternatively, you can get access to the car's service manual at techinfo.toyota.com, but you'll have to pay for it. $10 for one day's access.