1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Trunk Won't Open

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Spicoaster, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Spicoaster

Spicoaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Two months ago we purchased a 2002 Prius from a private seller and so far we've had very few issues. Vehicle had 225,485 miles on it and currently has 227,164. It is a second vehicle for us and is being driven about 45 miles round trip a day, 5 days a week. We are not new to hybrids and had purchased new, a 2007 Highlander Hybrid 4WD which we drove until the extended warranty ran out.

That being said, the weird issue I ran up against was the trunk not opening. It had been opening with either the keys or cable release but then it decided that we were no longer allowed into the trunk. (And no it wasn't in valet lock mode).

I researched the issue but found either owners had a cable or key issue but not both at the same time.

Anyway, the fix, for whatever reason, turned out to be popping the trunk lid with the cable while at the same time using the key to open it. Now it opens, again, as it should by using either method.

And I was so looking forward to pulling the back seat out and using a pole to move the safety release!!!!

Hope this helps someone else out!

Cheers from Central Texas

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! thanks for the tip!(y)

3. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Suggests something could use a little lubrication in the lock release mechanism so it doesn't catch again . . . .

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You must have really long arms.

Once you have it open, it's easy to clean the mechanism with brake cleaner and then shoot some bicycle grease (3 in 1 brand comes in an aerosol can) in.