1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Pruis trouble P3000 and P3009

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by samarpan, Jan 2, 2011.

1. samarpan

samarpan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you for the wonderful information on your web site.
    here is the problem.

Please call Stan at 415-606-5777 cell.

THE PRIUS runs normally but has a red warning light and with the car symbol, with codes p3000 and p3009
    and fuel consumption of 30 mpg. I cleaned the battery terminals. All the cells test 16 volt equally.

But some cells had up to 50 volts between the high voltage battery and the negative frame.

After the first try, reconnecting the 12 volt battery, the car ran normally for 10 miles. then the check engine light came back
    and the codes came back.

2nd and 3rd try disconnecting the 12 volt battery and the HV disconnect to reboot the computer. With the key on, the red warning light with the car !
    came on after 2 minutes, without the car running.

Question 1 - this occurred when there was really wet weather. could there be leaky capacitors?

Question 2 - could the battery computer be leaking to ground? because of the 50 volts on some cells between frame and battery cell

Question 3 - how can I test the battery computer?

Question 4 - how can I do a load test on main battery?

2. nsg444

nsg444 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have exactly the same situation - codes P3000 and P3009, and no other symptoms except possibly reduced mileage. (We brought the car in to the shop as soon as the warning light went on, so we haven't had a chance to check whether the mileage changed or not.) What should we be looking for?

Many thanks!
    Nancy

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius