1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 replacement hybrid battery, dealer warranty only one year?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Debora, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Debora

Debora Junior Member

My Toyota dealer just said I need to replace the hybrid battery in my 2002 Prius for $3627.00. They quoted only a 1 year warranty on the new replacement battery. Is it really only a one year warranty?

2. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is. You can buy a Dorman battery rebuilt with 2nd gen modules and a 3 year warrany for around $1500 plus installation. Install should be no more than $200. Dorman can possibly refer you to an installer in your area. Where are you located? I repair/install batteries around central Arkansas and would be glad to help if you're near here.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a new battery, so will probably last as long as the original. the warranty on any replacement part from toyota is one year.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nearly all replacement parts from Toyota will carry a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.
    Hybrid batteries are no different.

The reality is, of course, that they will last as long as the original battery.

5. aswresm

aswresm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Put an ad on Craigslist in your area for anyone who can rebuild your own battery...It wouldn't cost you more than $500...Another option is to look around for Hybrid repair shops in your area, they are a bit more expensive and they will not rebuild your battery as they will better make more money swapping it with one that has been already rebuilt. Good luck.