1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Seat modification?

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by bigoilhater, May 5, 2011.

1. bigoilhater

bigoilhater New Member

The biggest drawback of this little first gen Prius is the cheap seats that are pure torture on any trip over 100 miles. Since Toyota has become selfish with the 2011 Prius' price gouging I can't afford a new Prius with nice seats. So wondering if there's a practical seat upgrade that will not affect the OEM airbags, etc.???

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had it to do over again, I would have taken a shot at having a Recaro installed.

One shop in Palo Alto, Sids Custom Upholstery (Hugo - owner) claimed they take the airbag and somehow mount it to the side of the Recaro. I don't know how that would work out - airbags are explosive devices. I've seen them blown off at a new owner's workshop at Honda. Did you know they make the sound of a very powerful gun while going off? It's true. Very loud.

I spent a bunch of time and money fashioning a height adjustable seat using a Corolla frame for my 2009. It never did feel adequate - I could not get the right support from the seat bottom - my legs were flailing, sitting mostly on butt. I made a big improvement with the custom seat, but everything together, the long reach to wheel, awkward reach to brake pedal, half nice person seat, it had to go.

. Like said, it likely would have been better to skip building that custom seat and try a Recaro.