1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 tire replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by thetudor, Apr 30, 2006.

1. thetudor

thetudor New Member

I need to replace the tires on my 2002 and need some ideas as to what works well. I would like to keep an LRR tires, but I do live in the northeast, so the weather can get interesting. The problem that I have is the most of the tires referenced in this forum do not come in the size I need (175/65R14). Any help would be appreciated.

2. c4

c4 Active Member

I've currently got Michelin HydroEdge 185/65R14 on my 2001 Classic Prius. They are excellent wet weather tires, but are *not* LRR, so you will lose a bit of MPG with them.. Other than the MPG hit, their one annoying characteristic is fairly substantial road noise- my Michelin X-Ice winter tires were far quieter than the HydroEdge.

Another alternative- the Michelin Harmony tires are a good all-round tire that, while not specifically LRR, had one of the best resistance ratings according the a recent Consumer Reports test.

You could actually go with pretty much any other tire in a 185/65R14 sizing if you can't find them in the 175 width.. The 185s are easier to find, and most have sufficient load ratings for the vehicles (vs. the 175 width, where you have to not only find the size, but also go with an XL load rated version of the tire- again this is for the Classic Prius- the HSD Prius uses 185 width tires in standard load). Many people have had good luck with the Goodyear ComforTread and TripleTred tires..

My HydroEdges have been quite good, other than the road noise, but when they wear out, I'm looking to try something else- either the aforementioned GY models, or possible a LRR Nokian model (where I'm also looking to get a tire in a 175/70R14 size- this is the absolute largest diameter tire that you can use with the Classic Prius- the 175 width and higher profile actually improve the rolling resistance at the cost of speedometer reading mismatch (you are actually travelling faster than the reading), I chose this size for my winter tires and had no problems with them and I also found that the larger tires filled with wheel wells and IMO improved the overall appearance of the car)