1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Toyota Prius hybrid traction HV battery fail!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by guggenheim, Nov 28, 2012.

1. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Newbie here. Hope I don't make any newbie mistakes! I appreciate the fact that there's a special forum for our special cars :)

I've had my Gen I Prius for 10 years now and have had an awesome time with it. However, the special warning indicators finally appeared on my screen late last week: the triangle and exclamation point signal indicating a hybrid system failure!

I took it to a local Toyota dealer the next day to get serviced and the guy I'm working with reported a P3000 and P3009 code. He said I can get a full diagnosis for $294. It's such a weird issue that I went ahead and said yes. Sure enough, he came back saying that the HV (aka traction) battery needed to be replaced.

Ugh. I knew this day would come. The best he could offer me was 10% off of the total $2850 (for the part, it's MSRP $2300 and the service would be $550). The discount doesn't help a ton cause I'm still looking at a $2600 bill.

A few thoughts I had...

(1) What's the cheapest option you've seen for the HV battery by itself? Would you trust refurbished batteries?

(2) If you have a friend experienced with cars (but not necessarily Prii), how hard would it be to put in the battery yourself?

(3) Given the bill for the battery replacement, I'm considering just letting it go and putting my money into a new car. One reason why I wouldn't like to do that is because of the potential value it could have in 10-20 years. I think as a Gen I hybrid, it could have a "coolness" factor in 20 years. (Yeah I know we didn't buy our cars cause they looked cool but still.) Do you think a Gen I Prius would increase in value, making a HV battery replacement justified?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, just read a few of the forums and was able to learn a bit more so apologies of some of my questions are redundant. Here's more info about my Gen I Prius:

I first had the car starting in 2002 in Southern California, moved to Connecticut from 2004-2010 where I drove it very little (30,000 miles over 6 years), and then I moved back to San Diego where I've driven it a LOT over the past 2 years (45,000 miles over 2 years).

To focus my questions:

How has people's experiences been with non-OEM hybrid - traction - HV batteries such as Reinvolt?
    How much would it cost to ship to CA?

It sounds like we shouldn't give into the "fear" tactics of the "stealerships". Is it really not hard to put a replacement HV battery in?

I am curious as to what people think about whether Gen I Prii would have good resale value with a replaced HV battery.

Thanks!

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The car only has ~ 75k miles on it, so I would not expect other problems anytime soon. So long as the car has been well maintained I would pop in a re-involt battery without a second though and expect to be happy another 10 years.

You have already sunk $300 into diagnostics (ughh), but in this case I trust the remanufactured battery using G2 modules more than a new OEM G1 battery that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

5. bkadams88

bkadams88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I read you can clear the codes with a paper clip jumping pins 4 and 13 on the odbII connector. Is this correct?
    My car one day just stopped on the hwy and would only go 2 miles an hour. Took it to stealership and they said need new HV battery ECU and clean out overfill of oil in throttle body.
    Does car go into a safety mode or something. I can get the engine to start and warm vehicle but when shifting into drive or reverse it has no power at all. Won't even go up an incline. Almost seems like a clutch slipping on a regular car where the power is not being transferred to the drive train. Or is it a electronic throttle malfunction maybe I'm thinking or could that also be a symptom of the inverter gone bad?
    Troubled

6. bkadams88

bkadams88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    By the way I have the triangle with exclamation point in it on the upper display along with check engine light.
    Also on the graphic display it has PS and a pic of a battery in grey, and a red pic of a car with ! in it.

Guggenheim I actually just removed my battery and it was one of the easiest things I have ever done on any vehicle. With the safety plug removed and the 12 volt battery disconnected and no key in ignition there is no power running through the system or even on the orange leads to the HV battery. I guess the case could be grounded out. If that's the case(pun intended) then check the case with a volt meter to ground prior to replacement.

7. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, you guys are amazing! Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.

Also, my actual total mileage is more like 121,000 miles (I didn't include the mileage in the first 2 years I had it), but it has been well-maintained.

I'll let you know what I've decided and share my experiences.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't feel too bad. Our 2006 Rav4 is about to lose the transmission. That's a $4,000 bill.

9. EddieAtl

EddieAtl HYBRIDATL

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 2 cents here! I just rebuilt my 2001 HV Battery using a 2009 and 2007 Gen II modules, I did spend around $1000 dollars for the two used HV batteries. My Prius is running phenomenal!!! If you have the time and you have some basic knowledge on how DC volts works and know how to use a volt meter, you can tackle it!!

Attached Files:

10. bkadams88

bkadams88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    hey Eddie Atl what symptoms did you have prior to replacing the battery? Did the car not work at all suddenly or did you experience a slow progression of problems like less power or something else?

11. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, good question bkadams. I'm curious about Eddie's symptoms too!

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Consider a wrecking yard might just have a good battery.

A diagnosis for almost $300?!?! Most car's 'plug it in and get a readout diagnosis' takes ~15 minutes. And the flat-rate charges for most services include diagnostic time.

BTW, you saved about $14k in gas at $3.50 a gal over a 20MPG car.

13. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah they originally gave me the codes but then they had to do a "full diagnosis" to accurately pinpoint the problem. i know... probably got ripped off but i was paranoid! wish i had found this site first....

14. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just realized that my HV battery was replaced as part of a safety bulletin in June 2005! That means this current battery that just failed lasted only 7.5 years.

15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Parts fail somewhere on a bell curve. Some early, some late. Your car is 10 years old. I've replaced engines and transmissions in at least a half dozen cars with your mileage but the last was a '89.

Ask the dealer to deduct the diagnosis from the quoted repair cost. If he balks, ask him to look it up in the "book" and see if it isn't included. Let him know you have other options but do it softly. You will have to pay the towing change to go elsewhere and he knows it.

16. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Mike.