1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 used prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by amizuno, Mar 15, 2007.

1. amizuno

amizuno New Member

I'm looking to buy a certified used 2002 prius with 64,000 miles on it from a dealer. Their asking price is $12,395. This seems like a good deal, but any advice on the car and the price?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Price advice, as usual, is to offer a bit less and see. You can get guidance from the Edmunds, KBB and NADA websites.

Carfax VIN check should disclose any prior damage. Does its history include HV battery reseal, ECM replacement, power steering, crankshaft position sensor? Anything else?

2002 was the first year with side air bags option. A good thing for safety.

If the tires are worn funny, a suspension alignment should be part of the deal. Someday I will convince the buyer to make such a purchase contingent on an acceptable analysis of the transmission fluid. Maybe this time; maybe not.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's someone selling a used '04 w/ 72k miles with a reserve of $14,500 and a buy-it-now of $16,500...package #9 which includes all air bags, VSC, SKS, Bluetooth, NAV and it's a 2nd gen. Prius which will give you better FE than the 1st Gen, has more room, better acceleration.

It's in Houston so you'd have to find a way to get it if you bought that one, but I present it more as an example of what you could get for just a little more money....much more car. If you can jaw the price of the '02 down to around $9,500 or so and you like the car then it's a worth while choice.

That's all personal opinion, no KBB or Edmunds research, but I know I'd never pay $10k for a 1G Prius considering what 2G Prii are available for and how much more car you get.

4. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that sounds pretty good, given that everything is working properly. You might be able to shrink the payment down to 11,000.

I just bought a 2005 with about the same mileage :unsure: for $17,500, but it came in the highest package that came out that year.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Unless you want to buy the car in order to have a classic Prius for your collection, I would spend a little more and buy a second generation car.

6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Unless you want to buy the car in order to have a classic Prius for your collection, I would spend a little more and buy a second generation car.