1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 versus 2010 dilemma

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by hybridtwins, Mar 1, 2009.

1. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    All,

My wife and me are facing a dilemma regarding our 2002 his & her Priuses (hence the screen name hybridtwins).

My car has about 65k on it, while hers has 45k. Mine is used most of the time for now, and I put about 10k on it per year. We've had no major problems with the cars, and in fact they're the most reliable cars we've ever owned.

The dilemma comes because my wife will reach retirement age in about 5 years, which is of course the typical length of an auto loan. So the question is: do we hang on to our 2002 babies, which by then will be about 12 years old? Or do we go through one last finance cycle and invest in his & hers 2010's (yeah, I know. We're kind of crazy that way... but we like being twinsies).

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder why the choice is to either buy two 2010 or do nothing. Other possibilities might be to:

- save your money now, and buy a 2011 or 2012 when your car has more miles on it using a three-year loan, or
    - save the money that you would have paid into the auto loans, wait until your car dies, then pay for a new car with cash (no financing)

I drove the 2010 today at Nokia Theatre and it is very tempting to consider buying one (or two for that matter), I'll admit.

3. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was also at the LA event today and am also considering buying one, but wont be able to afford one no matter what the price until about 2012 after i graduate.:( But by then who knows, plug in?

4. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Patrick,

You're right, of course; there are at least a few choices. BTW about how many people were invited to the event?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Mark,

I don't know how many were invited, but my guess is that around 50 showed up. I would say that the capacity of the facility, the qty of food offered, and the # of cars available to drive was sufficient so that more guests could have comfortably attended.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard a figure closer to 80 attended.

7. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you decide to go with the new model, wait for the 2011, so they have a chance to iron out any bugs in the new 2010.

8. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Maybe. OTOH a 2010 might be worth the risk if this year proves to be a real buyer's market.