1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 HV issue

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by cb285, Jul 8, 2018.

1. cb285

cb285 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    First off I’d like to thank this site for being a valuable resource. Secondly, I doubt I’m at the right place for my Gen 1 2003 Prius but I need some advice

Here we go:

A couple weeks ago my car started acting strange, hesitating from a stop like the electric motor didn’t want to kick in. The battery display would show full and then slam down to the lowest level at random times. The first code was a cylinder 4 misfire. I cleared it because my father always told me to never trust the first code, make it happen twice. I drove it to the gas station and as I pulled in the turtle light came on (pretty sure this is limp mode). I stop to fill up and when i start the car again the light is gone. I almost get home then s&*t hits the fan. My check engine light and exclamation light came on, so I take it to advance auto. Codes were random brake codes but the ones that mattered were C1259 (regenerative malfunction) and P3006 (battery levels unusually different).
    I get home and research, order a new cell and replace the bad one along with cleaning all the corrosion and covering everything with dielectric grease; i also replaced the 12v battery as well. This all worked...temporarily. This fixed the problem for about a week but now today the same codes have popped up again (minus the brake codes). I have ordered a new cell and I’m reaching out to see if you all are in agreement that maybe I missed one. Or could it be the new cell was bad, or the new cell caused an imbalance in the battery? Basically I am asking if there is a more serious issue that I am missing because I don’t get it. The car ran like a top and my fuel mileage increased. Now I have to start all over. Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to hearing your responses.

Side note I order the replacement cells from HV Hybrid parts on Amazon.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replacement module could have been bad I suppose.

How did you know determine which module to replace?
    Did you replace the correct module?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. cb285

cb285 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I used a volt meter. Every other cell was above 7.6, the bad one was around 6.3.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Visually inspect:
    - Sensing wire crimps just below the ring terminal
    - Orange sensing wire plug at the computer
    - Orange sensing wire receptacle at HV battery ECU

cb285 likes this.
  5. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll need to load test each module to get a better idea of what you have to work with. If you only replaced one, just think about the other 37 that have not been touched. Those capacities are probably nowhere close to where they should be. Those 1st gen packs have pretty well lived a good life. It's possible that you have a battery that's been replaced before, and you might get by for a little while by playing whack-a-mole. But I'd suggest considering a reconditioned battery retrofitted with newer 3rd gen modules (all 38).

What part of TN are you in?

6. cb285

cb285 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Nashville area

This is the original battery pack. How exactly do I do a load test?

I just saw a video on YouTube. Not sure how accurate that may be. Is the number to look for still above 7.4?

#6 cb285, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2018
  7. cb285

cb285 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Also I’ve read where some people “reorganize” the modules. How exactly should they be organized? When I replaced the bad cell, i put the new one in its place. Is there a variance between each module I should look for voltage wise? This car is old and not worth a mechanic price. Let alone $2,000 for a new battery pack. Trying to do this on my own to save my wallet and keep this car running as long as possible (preferably til I’m done with school). On the other hand I don’t want to have to yank this battery out every 2 weeks.

8. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read the sticky thread about who should and who shouldn't own a Gen 1 Prius. Or any older high mileage Prius. There are good solutions and there are cheap attempts, the good solutions require massaging the problem with $100 bills. You might be able to find someone to rebuild or remanufacture your battery locally for not a lot of money. But this is probably using all old modules, Toyota doesn't sell new ones, The newer the modules, using Gen 2 or Gen3 ones, the more it's going to cost. All new Gen 1 modules in a new from Toyota is the best solution and costs the most money. Rock arto sells rebilts for about $1500, marketed by Cardone and they have a 3 year warranty. Again built with used modules and if it goes out and you need warranty, who knows what hoops you'll need to jump thru with Cardone.

The other solution is to sell the old Prius and buy something else more conventional. Old Echos and Corollas are decent cars and get good mileage. Old Subarus don't get such great mileage, but they are good cars. You've got enough on your plate and enough financial stress, you don't need a project car and money pit at this time in your life.

greasemonkey007 likes this.
  9. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's worth the repair if you can keep the car on the road without a car payment and it's in otherwise good condition. It's a long-lasting car if it's maintained. Without the repair, it's not worth very much at all, given the expensive repair needed. That's something that you have to weigh out for yourself. If I can help in any way, feel free to call me. I'm not on the computer all the time, but pretty easy to get me on the phone.
    If you decide to replace the car, I agree with Brian on the Corollas. They're relatively cheap, dependable, fixable cars.

Brian in Tucson likes this.