1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Power Steering Failure - please advise

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jcisse, Jun 3, 2010.

1. jcisse

jcisse New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The power steering on my 2003 Toyota Prius has been slowly deteriorating (very difficult to get out of parallel parking spaces, for example) until in suddenly cut out all together as I was turning in a parking lot two days ago. I put the car in reverse to try to straighten out, and the problem was immediately solved. The car was fine for the next 12 hours (and ten miles) until the same thing happened again... and fixed itself again.

I realize the 2001 was recalled because of power steering issues... but this does not seem to apply to the 2003.

And similar experiences or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is quite interesting. The symptom you describe sounds different from the power steering issues affecting the 2001-2002 models. It sounds as if yours is just cutting out, where the sensor failure in the older models causes a jittering problem. I wonder if your power steering is simply loosing power from a loose or broken cable or something?

3. jcisse

jcisse New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would br great. I should add that NO power steering warning light comes on, although I've heard that they have in some other situations. Thanks.

4. jcisse

jcisse New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, adric22 or others, can you please tell me where to locate the drive motor and suggest how to look for a loose/broklen cable or a bad connection?

Thanks!

5. talkative

talkative New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The power steering on my 2003 Prius died completely after two brief failures. The local Toyota dealer could not find the problem until the car was towed into the shop and it failed for them, finally. This was a very dangerous experience. The repair will cost $3200. I am seeking additional information and will contact Toyota USA tomorrow. Talkative

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is part of the steering assembly and partially covered by a splash shield. If you'll check this posting, you can see a photo of it:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/generat...ead-orange4boys-2003-prius-4.html#post1005453

photo #5

Bob Wilson

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sorry about your experience, talkative, but I would be hoping that jcisse could get a new electtrical power steering assist assembly installed for about $1000 less than that.

Used assemblies are also available, but it is pretty much impossible to verify their condition, and someone has to do the R&R. In general Toyota shops will not want to install used parts for you.

Anyway, good luck and please keep us informed.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Doug is right and I would only suggest that if the controller has a problem, you can get them from salvage. I understand there is a Prius that recently was rolled avoiding a deer strike.

Bob Wilson