1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius/92K mi/$14900 - Should I buy? asks Newbie

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Remedial Potions, Sep 7, 2008.

?
  1. You should definitely buy the '03 Prius with 92,500 miles for $14,900.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. You should buy the '03 Prius with 92,500 miles if you can knock $500-1000 off the asking price.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. You should buy the '04 Prius with 120K miles for $18,000.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. You should buy the '04 Prius with 120K miles if you can knock $500-1000 off the asking price.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. You should buy a used Corolla and order a new Prius for your second car.

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Remedial Potions

Remedial Potions New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Greetings board –

My wife and I just relocated from Boston (where we owned one car and neither of us used it to commute) to the Midwest, where we have need of two cars for daily driving. We’ll be buying a second car and replacing our current one(’94 Chrysler Concorde). We’re very interested in a Prius for one or both (though the long wait time and the price are considerations). Getting one is finally within the realm of possibility with the new job that went along with the move, though we probably can’t afford two new cars.

We went to our local Toyota dealer yesterday, and he just got in a 2003 Prius with 92,500 miles on it that he’s asking $14,900 for. We took it for a test drive and really enjoyed it. I’ve got some questions I hope you can answer:

1. Having never owned a Toyota or Honda (all previous cars have been GM/Chrysler), I’m really leery of buying a car with this many miles on it.
      • Would you buy an ’03 at this mileage (almost 92K)?
      • What specific repairs (beyond general maintenance like tires, brakes, etc) should I be concerned might occur in the next 4-5 years/50K miles?
      • Anything in particular I should look for/ask about with a 1st gen Prius with this many miles?
    2. KBB lists this car with this mileage at $14,300. Consumer Reports Used Car Price Report has it at $10,900.
      • Does $14,900 seem like it reasonably reflects the current market value, or should I expect to get anywhere negotiating the price down?
      • If he won’t move on the price, is this still a good deal given the market, or should I walk away (it seems like used Priuses for sale are rare)?
    3. I’ve seen posts recommending that before buying a used Prius you should have a Toyota dealer look at it.
      • What if you’re buying one from a Toyota dealer – where do you take it for an unbiased inspection then? Are there independent mechanics out there who know Priuses well enough to judge pre-sale condition? Do people mostly get them serviced by Toyota or DIY?
      • The dealer replaced two tires and the front brakes on the car - they said the rear brakes are at 70% and the other tires are at 7/32â€. They also said the battery is “at 100%â€.
    4. They are also expecting to get in a 2004 Prius with 120K miles on it that they will have priced at $18,000. That price still seems a high – I know that the ’04 is the second generation Prius, but that one has a lot more miles on it and lacks cruise control.
      • Would there be any reason I should consider that one instead of the ’03?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions. If we get a used Prius and like it, and if we can afford it, we may order a new one for our second car. Alternatively, we may just get a used Corolla or something similar for a little less money and then order a new Prius.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First, go to Ebay and check prices for completed sales. This is your current, free market price.

You didn't mention any 'self maintenance,' and when buying a used car, this is how you mitigate repair costs. Without the ability to do your own maintenance, there is a risk buying any used car.

Of the two options, the 2004-current, NHW20 model is a better deal because that car has an improved traction battery and control laws that work better at midwest speeds. The NHW11 works best in urban areas and speeds under 70 mph.

The NHW11, 2003 Prius has 8,000 miles of warranty remaining on the battery and inverter. This is better than none but we don't know what service it has seen before. To really know if the battery is in good shape, the dealer needs to report the 19, module voltages and even this is of somewhat limited utility. One advantage is coming from the northeast, it hasn't suffered the heat stress that ages traction batteries.

If you have a primary car and feel comfortable with self-maintenance, the NHW11 can be a very good commuting car. Keep the speeds under 70 mph and it should work out fine. But if this is going to be the only car, no.

We have learned a few tricks about NHW11 maintenance:

• transaxle oil - needs to be changed every 30k miles
    • inverter coolant - needs to be changed every 60k miles but must be done carefully to avoid air locks
    • wheel alignment - remains a challenge even for dealers
    Bob Wilson

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those prices seem way high for such high mileage cars. If that is a true picture of the market (I don't think it is), I'd get the Corolla, or something else.
    As stated above, if your are going to buy into a high mileage car, you need to have some DIY automotive repair, maintence experience and tools.
    I don't quite follow the alternative of non hybrid and new hybrid to a used high mileage first choice. Seems it would be the other way around.
    You should do some more looking around and consider buying from an individual. Avoid the dealer markup and sales tax.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I drove a first gen prius back in 2003 and could not get out of it fast enough. It was the worst handling most unsafe feeling car I'd ever been in. The Gen II is a world of difference. Very much like an average non performance basic sedan. The touring steps it up a bit and makes it even slightly sporty.

Also, given the used market state, and the fact that dealers are selling at MSRP or even lower if you're willing to wait, it makes no sense at all to buy a used Prius when you can get it cheaper buying new. Is it worth saving $4K on a new one to have a used one with 120K miles? Makes no sense whatsover. I suspect everyone who votes in your poll will select the last option for you. It's a no brainer.

5. Remedial Potions

Remedial Potions New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the advice. We've spent a lot on maintenance costs for our '94 Chrysler and '95 Chevy Cavalier before that - we are not DIY types, and one of the attractions of Toyotas in general is the good reliability and low maintenance costs. If this will be unlikely to be the case for a car nearing 100K miles, we probably will want to keep looking.

It seems like most of the lower-mileage (<50 K) used Priuses for sale by dealers or private owners that I have found so far are priced within $2-3K of the MSRP for 2009 ones. That small a price difference makes it hard not to justify just getting a new one. Are individual sellers able to command a better price because the wait for new Priuses is so long and people are impatient?

We need to buy two cars - a second car, and a replacement for our current one. We need to get at least one of them right away (i.e. can't wait for a new Prius). We can afford at most one new car, and the second one will have to be used.

The tentative plan was to get a reasonably inexpensive non-hybrid used car now (so we have two cars), order a Prius, and trade in our old Chrysler when the Prius comes in. However, since we happened upon the used '03 Prius, we were wondering if that would make sense to buy now (and then order a new Prius for car #2, or make car #2 a new/late model used Corolla). In a perfect world, we would buy two brand-new hybrids and they would be available for us to pick up tomorrow! But the realities of what we can afford, how soon we need to get at least one car, and Prius availability make that impossible.

Hope that makes more sense.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An older Prius can remain quite reliable. However if you are unlucky and have a problem, dealer repairs are extremely expensive. It is unlikely that you will find a competent independent hybrid shop in the Midwest.

Since you find that the price for a lower-mileage used vehicle is near MSRP of a new Prius, then it makes sense to get on the waiting list for a new 2009. Note that the 2009 model year will be the last year of production for the current model.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm assuming you are trying to make the smartest personal finance decision here.

How much driving per car, and what will the city/highway mix be for each car ? Next question might be how often trips are less than 10 miles on a cold engine. These answers will help you estimate fuel savings compared to a hybrid.

Subscribe to Consumer Reports, and look carefully at the reliability records for models you are considering. Positively obtain a GOOD mechanic check of any used car you might buy.

Which all amounts to explaining my bias: used hybrids are overpriced this month. Buy heavily depreciated but reliable 5 - 7 year old cars now, and save for 2011 - 2012 hybrids.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The completed sales on ebay do not provide much specifics at the moment. A 2003 with 180 k miles sold for about $7000, and one with 130k miles for about $9000.
    Kelly Blue Book sets the private party value at $10-12,000 based on condition. This seems like the right price range to me. If the dealer won't 'face reality', and funds are tight, a used Corolla, Civic, Accord or Camry would probably provide good service.

Bob mentioned twice to stay under 70 mph, which must solely relate to increased fuel burn at high speeds. IMHO the little Prius is a prefectly adequate car for long flat midwestern highway flying. It's potentially unsafe of course, and you should have very good tires, but some states take a long time to cross at 55 mph!

I will also suggest that the coolants change interval should be 30k miles, unless you switch to SLLC coolant with a 50k mile interval.

9. w4y

w4y Junior Member

$14900 sounds pretty high. I got a 2002 with 77k from a 3rd party dealer just less than 1 year ago for $9500. It's been working perfectly fine, and now at 86k, still have 14k warranty on the hybrid system.

PS: This is in Los Angeles, where hybrids seem to be in more demand these days.

10. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Look up posts under my name, to read about pain it was when my inverter pump went out. The car really wasn't designed for the average dyi'er like me, and many mechanics aren't that familiar with it, and it does have some weak spots -like any - that appear with age and mileage. For that much money, seems like going for a basic model new car would be much better buy.