1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius Battery Question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by RickyTV, Dec 29, 2010.

1. RickyTV

RickyTV New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone! I'm new and not car-savy, so go easy on me! Just need some general information. So, my girlfriend found a 2003 Prius for sale recently, selling for $2800. Sounds like a sweet deal at first, but of course it needs a brand new battery. My question is: how much would a new battery for that model cost, and what places would I be able to find that battery for sale? Her cousin's boyfriend is a mechanic, so we wont have to worry about labor costs, but the cost of the battery alone has me a bit uneasy :(

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check ebay for used packs. If you want a brand new pack, it goes for $1,700 from online Toyota dealer.

3. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We sell used Gen 1 batteries with 90 day warranty for $800 plus shipping plus refundable core deposit.

We sell reconditioned Gen 1 batteries upgraded with gen 2 cells with a 12 month warranty for $1200 plus shipping plus refundable core deposit.

These are both in stock in Denver and we can advise you or your mechanic on installation.

A word of caution, however, if the traction battery is dead, you have no way of knowing what else might be wrong with the car. When the car has a serious malfunction, it will store diagnostic trouble codes in its onboard computers. These codes can be read by a dealer or qualified independent shop. This can tell you if maybe other issues are present. This would be worth doing prior to buying the car.

Eric
    Adopt A Part
    1-800-508-2211

4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If the car is in decent physical condition, $2,800 is a good deal. I actually bought a 2002 for the exact same price and put a new traction battery in it. I drove it for a year and sold it for $6,000.