1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius Body Work

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by KitsuneVoss, Nov 29, 2023.

1. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My roommate hit a deer last night. Air bag did not deploy and I don't think there is any frame damage. However, the passenger fender, wheel well liner, headlight, and front pumper cover need to be replaced. Door will not fully open but I think that is due to damage to the fender. Hood has a dent in it.

I have been pricing out the parts.

Anyone know how much work it would be to replace them? Checked to see if there is a YouTube video but did not find anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was able to get all the parts I need for $350 although it is a 2.5 to 3.5 hour drive.
    Called a shop and a quick estimate for labor is $650 to $750 and hoping to dodge that.

3. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It's really not that hard, but I couldn't give you a step by step. But it's also not radically different from many other sedans, whether it's pulling the fender or the bumper cover. It's also a little hard to answer not knowing anything about your level of "handi-ness." Do you have a jack and jack stands and a decent ratchet set including extensions? The hard part might be getting the rear fender bolts if you can't open that door. There will be a couple that you get to by opening the door all the way.

If you go look up headlight replacement (often associated with inverter pump replacement), it will actually tell you about 1/2 of what you need to know to get the bumper cover and headlight. As for the fender, it's really just a matter of looking closely around the perimeter for the bolt on it. There are 2 or 3 up top. A couple more in that crease between the front door and fender. Probably one behind the plastic trim in front of the side mirror. Then some more down bottom - rear side by the rocker panel and in front under the wheel well cover.

If you're at all handy and have the basic tools, you could do it without too much trouble. Getting it painted up would be the hardest thing, and if you want that done professionally, probably best to have everything painted before it goes on. But you can also find spray paint mixed to the Toyota paint code. I have a NAPA near me that mixes it up custom in an aerosol.

4. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have both jacks and jack stands. I have ratchets, sockets, and extensions.
    I have done engine work and replaced the battery of that specific Prius.
    I think I am reasonably handy but not done much body work on cars however.
    About the only think I have done is remove the bed of a Ranger to replace the fuel pump.
    The passenger door does not open the whole way but likely can force it if needed.
    More or less trying to get it functional because will bet money that the insurance company with total it.

5. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You can do it. The bumper cover is just held on by a row of fasteners up top and down underneath with a couple of others hiding under the wheel well covers, I think. (I've only partially removed mine for headlight assy replacement). The head light assys are three bolts - two easy up top and a third hidden on the lower rear corner under the wheel well cover. Jack it up, pull the wheels and wheel well covers and it'll be easy to see the hidden stuff. Get the bumper cover and wheel well covers off and it'll be easy to see it all. Then just find all of the fender bolts and it's all easy.

6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I can't tell from the pics, but the fender apron might (probably is) be bent. That's the metal subframe to which the fender and hood hinges bolt to. Looks like it took a direct hit. If so, you should be able to pull it back out with a ratchet strap - just find something sturdy (tree?) to wrap the other end around and ratchet it out.

Not sure what you're saying about insurance, but this shouldn't cost you a dime, if you're willing to do a little wrenching. I'd not to anything to it, let the insurance pay off, then buy it back from them (if not, I might), and fix it yourself. One of mine got hit like this on the driver's side. Insurance paid $4000 and I bought it back for $275 and fixed it for $700. Pocketed $3000.

White was a popular color. You can probably find the parts already painted white on Car-parts.com. Personally, I'd look for a wrecked car to buy at auction, get your parts, then sell the rest to get your money back.

7. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only place I could find the parts without crazy prices was a junkyard that is about 2.5 hours away with good traffic. Checked all the part prices on eBay first individually. Fairly rare due to only being made from 2001 to 2003 and not produced in the numbers the second generation Prius was.

Already purchased them and driving there tomorrow. Parts are a baby blue sort of. I likely would go to Maaco and get their cheapo special if it gets repainted. It think all the parts will fit in the cargo area of my 2009 Prius easily. Better than the MPG of the Ranger.

There is a canister / container under the front bumper cover. Looks a little like what windshield wiper fluid might be in although I know that is not what it is for. Any idea what that is used for? Wondering how easy it will be to detach?

I have trees in my yard and have some ratchet straps but they are light duty. Have to get heavier duty ratchet strips if I have to.

If the accident is where it was suppose to be, it is just as you have to come to a stop due to a stop sign. The collision should have been at 25 mph or less. There is a huge downed tree next to the road where my roommate says the accident happened.

I spoke to the body shop where it will be taken.and while they would not admit that it would be totaled out, I got the feeling around what he said. My plan is to then take the money, buy back the car, and repair it myself. I am half owner. Maybe my roommate can use the rest to buy a newer Prius but I think I want to repair this as long as there is not frame damage that prevents it from being easily repaired.

#6 KitsuneVoss, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  8. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have the parts

I am curious if I should be concerned with the air bag sensor if I start doing the body work? Where is the airbag sensor? Can I just pull the fuse to the air bag system?

9. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm not sure where it is, but I've taken those parts of several times without issue.

10. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    IDK where it is either, but have done plenty of bumper covers without worry. Pulling the airbag fuse or just disconnecting the 12V is never a bad idea (and hurts nothing) any time one is in the vicinity of airbag system components.

11. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can easily pull the 12V but I am hoping that I can avoid disconnecting the Hybrid battery. That is why the fuse to the airbags seemed a good idea. Better to be safe than sorry in any case.

12. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The 12V and/or the fuse is all you'd need to do. The 12V runs the modules, not the hybrid battery. And yes, better safe than sorry.

13. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The insurance adjuster is being slow so don't know what the resolution will be but still betting on being totaled.

14. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Almost certainly. I bought one last month that was totaled with only a small dent in the passenger quarter panel. I've actually tapped the dent back out and could make it virtually unnoticeable with $20 worth of paint and bondo.

[​IMG]

15. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally received word from the insurance company Friday. They are going to total it out. Would have gotten 3800 but wanted the war back so basically getting 3300 back. Should get the car back today because the insurance company is towing it home. Hope to work on it tomorrow. Told my roommate that I would like to see if I can get it done by Friday so they have an operational car because the Ranger is taking its toll as far as cost of gas. It gets 21 or 22 mpg compared to 40 for the 2003 Prius.

My brother had a strange suggestion. Just try normal white spray paint in a can to match colors.

16. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One

At $3300 you can come out WAY AHEAD on this, with a little work.

On the DIY paint, you don't have to just do generic white spray paint. Find the Toyota paint code - I think it's on a label inside of the glove box, or maybe on the drivers door pillar. By your pics it's probably 070 - "white pearl" or "blizzard pearl." There are lots of ways to get a spray can meant to match that. The big-box auto parts stores near me stock "Dupli-Color" and I managed to find a can of that 070 right off the shelf. I also have a NAPA AP store near me that has a machine to mix up a spray can to any manufacturer paint code. It's not going to be professional body shop results. But I've used such things before and it works.

17. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Paint code is 040. The Dupli-Color equivalent is BTY1556. I think I will be getting two cans tomorrow from O'Reilly. Hope two cans are enough. I figure I can paint them off the car and then put them in the shed to be protected while they dry.

Josey likes this.
  18. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well now I'm bumming that I ended up with "white pearl" when I could have had "super white." Dang it. Two cans will probably do it. Don't forget the clear coat on top.

19. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was able to get the fender and wheel well cover off fairly reasonably. The original fender itself warped and I think the door will open fine once I get the new fender on. Opens fine now but that is with no fender at all.

Having an issue however with the bumper cover. Removed all the screws I could see and slightly moved the driver side wheel well cover and got to the screw right there. There are clips that appear to be holding it below as well as being still held by clips or screws under where the driver's side headlight. The junkyard appears to have simply broken those screws / clips. Any suggestions?

I took a picture of where the headlight was and see where it appears to be bent. I think this is what you were referring to?
    [​IMG]

#18 KitsuneVoss, Dec 20, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  20. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've never pulled the whole thing, but have dropped the driver's side to get at the headlight...racking my brain to remember. I think there were actually two nuts in there up under the wheel well? Inspect the passenger's side as it should be about the same. And yeah, a whole row of mostly plastic push fasteners, I think, along the bottom. If my memory clears up I'll let you know.

Speaking now on behalf of @ronlewis (b/c he mentioned it) - yeah, that's pretty bent and will be the trickiest part of the job. Just to get the thing all back to the correct dimensions to that the fender and bumper cover all tie in well together.

21. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The passenger side is too badly smashed to get an idea where they attach. I have been looking at the replacement but not sure how to get to them.

[​IMG]

#20 KitsuneVoss, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023