1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius Brake/ ABS LIGHT & alarm

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Steve Poggi, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Steve Poggi

Steve Poggi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a Prius Gen 1 with 195K miles. The dash BRAKE /ABS lights & alarm are on. I used an Innova diagnostic tester and no codes show up. Brake pedal doesn’t feel normal. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It is remotely possible that in that generation one the Inova scanner may not read the ABS codes I'm not sure of that I have not tried it I've been working on an '02 a little bit the last few weeks but I have not tried to read ABS codes with my Inova scanner personally I do own an Innova scanner with the ABS button. I have read the codes with tech the Toyota software I don't have any break codes personally every other code but not the brakes.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ronlewis likes this.
  4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm just parting out a couple of cars and removed the booster/pump assemblies last week, and an actuator. I may need one for a car I have, but I'll definitely have another if you need it. Those codes will tell you where to go next. Here's a blurry screen shot of the chart. Give you somethings to think about. Chapman knows how they all come together better than I do.

One thing while you think through this - you should hear the brake pump turn on when you turn the key on. And, it should then turn off. The pump is mounted on the firewall under the brake fluid reservoir. Hard to see, but if you have the hood up, you should be able to lean it to hear it. It's also just inside the front passenger wheel well, and can be heard from down there.

Of course, if it doesn't turn on, there's a problem. Maybe bad pump or electrical issue, something else - see codes. And if it doesn't shut back off, or takes longer than (IDK?) a minute or two to shut off, it means it's failing to build pressure, so maybe a leak somewhere...or something else. SYK, it's not uncommon for the pump to fail, and it's the most expensive part in the brake system. Such is life.

brakes1.png