1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius Lost all Audio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pjdel51, Oct 5, 2011.

1. pjdel51

pjdel51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

If this isn't the right forum, please direct me to it.

I have a 2003 Prius. For some time the audio system would periodically lose all power - nothing would work - no AM, FM, CD or Tape. They simply wouldn't power on. If you pushed the "Audio" button, the screen would read "Audio System Turned Off." (Or something to that effect.) Then, after driving for a period of time - 5-20 minutes, during which time there might occasionally be a short click in the speakers - as if the power were trying to come on - they would power on. This usually happened on very humid or rainy days.

For the last 2 weeks there has been nothing. I checked all fuses I could find today. Everything seems good. All other systems seem to be working fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Peter

2. supra90

supra90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Your radio is going bad and soon is going to need repair or to be replace,
    i can tell you that this is not a bad fuse or wiring problem is just the radio going bad after 8 years, this is normal

1 person likes this.
  3. pjdel51

pjdel51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Supra90,
    I'm looking into used replacement radio/cassette units. Would the bad radio account for the inability to get any of the audio system to work: CD & Tape as well?

4. pjdel51

pjdel51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anybody replaced the radio on a 2003? Is it possible to find an aftermarket that fits in the available dash space of the original?