1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius with just a valet key and 12v died

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by zellbz, Oct 17, 2015.

1. zellbz

zellbz New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello I'm new to the Prius and I bought a 2003 Prius a month ago and did not realize the only key that were supplied to me was the valet key. The Prius was sitting in a parking lot for about 2 weeks and now the I have come to start it the car would not start presumably a dead 12v and I cannot get in the truck to charge the 12v because the key will not open the truck. Does anyone have any solutions for me?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Call a locksmith...

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    By the door on the floor are two levers. One opens the gas cover and the other should pop the trunk. I've not tried it with the trunk deliberately locked by the master key.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to check the schematics in the engine compartment fuse box or take a VOM to find where the 12 V is available. If you have a VOM, you might be able to find some residual voltage on a pin. Regardless, a jumper would let you connect a charger and put 12 V in the system. I would probably look at the higher amp relays and fuses first.

A 'shade tree' mechanic approach, I'd pop the cover of the dome light and try to jumper there (careful, one side is ground!)

If you search the forum, some of our members have described how to make a duplicate of the valet key and do some extra grinding to make it a master key. I am sorry, I don't really understand the difference. Perhaps someone might have both keys and post a photo of them side-by-side?

Bob Wilson

4. zellbz

zellbz New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called a locksmith and the locksmith said only a key will open the trunk.

5. zellbz

zellbz New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really don't have any experiences with cars so can you explain it in a different way

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh, yes, but we need to know a little about your background and technical knowledge. Otherwise, I might use a term like "VOM" that stands for Volt Ohm Meter and not realize it might as well be a foreign language. I had four younger brothers so this is not unusual.

Could you give us some background information about how you got the car? The reason is to find out if the original owner might still have the master key.

As for the locksmith, they are not all equally skilled. We may be able to help find a clue-full, locksmith.

Bob Wilson

7. zellbz

zellbz New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the car from a dealer but the key I was given was the only one available( the valet key, which is gray) and I had no idea it could not open the trunk. They dealer probably got the car from an auction so i don't think he will get the master key. I was also wondering since i have seen it mentioned other places is it possible to charge the v12 battery through the v12 port by the dash if i have a booster that has a v12 port as well.

8. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So you have already tried to use the lever that is on the left side of the drivers floorboard nearest to the seat?

9. zellbz

zellbz New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and it did not open the trunk.

10. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sometimes mine will not open when I pull the lever initially for some unknown reason. After trying another time or two it usually will work. However once I had to have my son give some slight upward pressure as I pulled the lever to get it to work. Just a thought.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. zellbz

zellbz New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing worked so i just removed the back seat and opened the trunk from there. Jumped the battery, my prius started and everything is good now. Appreciate the help tho.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The master key could have been used to put the trunk in "won't open using the lever" mode. You do that by putting the master key in the trunk and turning 1/4 turn to the left, then taking the key back out. So you can tell if that was done by seeing that the key slot is horizontal at the trunk lock ... normally the slot is vertical and you can open the trunk with the floor lever.

-Chap

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the 2003 a version with trunk? Just reading the Toyota Tech Info owners manual:

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Oh, maybe valet key won't work for this?

14. Pri-Eye

Pri-Eye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any Toyota Dealer can make you a Master Key with Proof of Ownership. It only takes a few minutes and costs less than $20.

I think I paid $8. My master key was worn and had to be positioned just so to unlock the door. A new Master key worked great for my problem.