1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius won't jumpstart, makes "brrrrrrring" noise, weird dash lights. Help?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by freigeist, Jan 14, 2011.

1. freigeist

freigeist New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just returned to school from 3 weeks winter break and found that my prius battery had died (I accidentally left the GPS plugged in. Off, but I guess it still managed to vampirically drain the battery). No problem, I think, and go to jump start it using a portable battery thing I keep in the trunk. It starts fine the first time, but the engine makes a subtly different noise from usual so I turn it off and remove the key. After a few minutes I try again, only this time it doesn't start at all and the ABS light pops on and then gradually dims. I waited a few days for the temps to go above freezing and today tried jumping it again but the same problem occurred. After a few attempts the check engine light comes on but then turns off again. Once or twice the "person sitting in chair with big circle in front of him" light came on and then off, which according to the manual means I have to take the car to a dealer immediately.

Any ideas as to what's wrong? The weather dropped below freezing a few times during the 3 weeks but the antifreeze should have prevented the engine from cracking, and aside from that I have nothing. It's an '03 prius with 150,000 miles and has worked without problems up until now.

2. jk450

jk450 New Member

If the 12V battery won't hold a charge after being charged completely, you'll need to replace it before proceeding further. The battery terminals are non-standard, so a Toyota battery fits the best. There's a larger battery available from Toyota, as well. It costs a bit more, and you have to buy an adapter tray that allows it to fit. Nice to have in cold weather, though.