1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003, radio not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mjolinor, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Bought myself one, happy puppy am I :)

As this is primarily for my dad (83 years old) I went for the saloon as the rear visibility wasn't really good enough on the newer model. It's taken me 3 months to find a suitable candidate but that parts over, now for the problems :)

The built in radio doesn't work. There is little real information available so I am forced to call on the excellent resources available here.

The internal clock and radio do not work. I only have 2 available screens on the big display, that is consumption and the diagram showing which way the energy is flowing. When I turn on the ignition I get the Toyota screen followed by a message that says "Audio Off" for a few seconds. Looked under the bonnet, there are two fuse boxes one at the passenger side (this is right hand drive, UK) with lots of fuses and one at the right hand side with mostly relays, there is nothing in either box that suggests radio or auxiliary. Someone told me there was one under the steering wheel but I can't find one there.

It was advertised as having sat nav which it has but this is a Becker unit in the place where a CD player will normally fit, is this standard or after market? I don't know if this gives maps on the big display or not. Maybe whoever fitted it disabled the normal radio, certainly this radio is a good one but no good for my parents as they are not flexible enough to get down there and see it. If it is aftermarket then I think I will remove it and fit a normal Toyota CD player in it's place.

So, any diagrams, descriptions, schematics, URLs for me to solve this problem and answer my questions will be much appreciated and gratefully received.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't help with your specific problem, but can provide you with the Toyota Europe subscription website to obtain repair manuals, wiring diagrams etc. This will allow you to identify the relevant fuses and locations, etc. Good luck.
    Toyota Service Information

3. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Well I got the original radio and clock working today. Some one armed butcher/cowboy had fitted the Becker GPS and had decided to do it by cutting all the wires to the back of the original radio, small wonder it didn't work. It's taken me 7 hours today, on my back in the footwell, armed with soldering iron and heatshrink to solder all the wires back together again.

The Becker is now a nice doorstop and will soon be in the bin, the original radio is really good especially for my aged parents who, for the first time in 10 years, can see what station they are listening to.

At 54 years old I am a tad past lying on my back for that length of time.