1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003, when replace sparkplugs?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by gene4655, Sep 17, 2008.

1. gene4655

gene4655 Junior Member

My 2003 has performed great, not a lot of miles. Now has about 40,000. Do I need to replace sparkplugs? I confess I haven't gone into dealer for all the (expensive) maintenance visits. Regular oil changes, nothing else. What do you think?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Gene,

The specified maintenance interval is 60K miles. There's no need to replace the iridium plugs sooner than that unless you have an engine misfire problem.

Note that the very same iridium spark plugs are installed in 2G, which has a 120K mile service interval (or 150K miles in CA and other PZEV states.)

3. nitewolfgtr

nitewolfgtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My '01 prius has 105000 miles on it and I just got my first sparkplugs replaced. Which means my original lasted me 105000.
    I only replaced it as a maintenance interval and not because I needed 'em.

4. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought Bosch Platinum +4 Fusions for my 2002 with noticeable improvements to Fuel Economy and definitely performance. It pulls pretty hard from mid range and helps with passing power. Plus the last about 100,000 miles so I am told!

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If you like 'em mlibanio there's not much I can say. But I would have thought that platinum plugs are a step down from iridium.

6. nitewolfgtr

nitewolfgtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I read reviews that Bosch plugs aren't very good. I would get OEM iridium plugs or NGK Iridium plugs. Why get platinum when its a step down from Iridium...

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Great!

Now I'm starting to think of a plug with a small but strong alpha particle emitter core in the high voltage electrode. The alpha particles will leave an ionization track so when the high voltage is applied, it has multiple paths already mapped out:

• pre-ionization paths - reduce the peak voltage needed
    • multiple paths - increase the spark spread to improve start of combustion
    Nothing like making a common consumer product radio active for special disposal requires ... like the old radium dials of another age.

Bob Wilson