1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Consumer Reports Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tyvay, Jan 21, 2007.

1. tyvay

tyvay Junior Member

Hello,

I have 2 questions!

I am not yet a Prius owner but will be quite soon! [/b] I am convinced the Prius is for me and my family. I will be buying however a 04 or 05 model. Consumer Reports (the non-profit, supposedly objective critic of most things bought and sold that have any moving parts) rates the 04 Prius has two BELOW AVERAGE ratings (2 of 5). Those two are the FUEL SYSTEM and the ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. Now the 05 Prius rates excellent in the FUEL SYSTEM (5 of 5) and the (4 of 5) on the ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

Also JD Power rates the 05 model significantly better in a few areas than the 04 Prius.

What's driving me nuts is that I have my eye on a couple of 04s and would prefer to buy the 04.

Question # 2. I see a lot of 05s for sale with quite high mileage (40,000 to 65,000) in less than 2 years! Is that a problem necessarily?

Thoughts on either subject would be useful for me.

Thanks.

TY

2. svbb

svbb New Member

I can't answer your question on the 04, but I will mention how CR determines this info:

They send surveys to their subscribers (I am a subscriber and have completed such surveys) about the cars the subscribers own. Their sample is not from all cars out there on the road; just their subscribers' cars. People tend to fill out a survey if they really HATE something or if they really LOVE something.

That said--sorry I can't help you--you're doing the right thing by asking on the board! But before I buy a used car, I have a mechanic who knows that car give it a full inspection--it, the inspection that it would require to make it a "Toyota Certified Used Car." It might be well worth the money.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The lower ratings on the 04 is probably due to the MFD screen failures. If the car you are contemplating has had it replaced it will probably be fine. They had a bad batch in the initial build, and they would become intermittent then fail completely. Of course, after the warranty had expired. This doesn't do anything good for the owners feelings on the car, hence the poor rating. The cost of the MFD shocked a lot of people as well!

The fuel system "problems" are likely caused by owners not liking the effects of the bladder in the fuel tank. It causes people to have trouble filling up the tank, or getting consistent fills of the tank. Most people calm down once they learn the peculiarities of the system.

Not sure how much the cars you are looking at cost, but in my research used Prius were not discounted much. My conclusion was it's better to buy new, as the costs were about the same.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have been driving an '04 Prius since 2004. I had the stereo freak out on me once. It was early 2005 I think. I took him to the dealer, they ordered a new stereo, and I drove around in silence for one week while the parts came in. No charge to me.

Other than that one incident - which went unexplained - I have had nothing but excellent stories about my 2004 Prius.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As stated before, '04s are likely to have had work done for the Fuel Filler Neck replacement SSC and the Dead MFD SSC.

Thus, a 'hit' against each system (fuel and electric).

The good news is that Toyota recognized the problems and issued free fixes for them.

However, that doesn't reflect in the survey, just whether you have had a 'problem' in that system.

If you're looking at buying an '04 just make sure you look at the service history, and if its shots are up to date it should be just as reliable as any later one.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tyvay @ Jan 21 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]378956[/snapback]</div>

I drive an 04 with over 47,000 trouble free miles. Consumer Reports information has proven to be faulty on Prius Fuel Mileage (retraction) and of course the recent child seat fiasco. Their objectivity is certainly in question. That said, I would not hesitate to buy an 04 or 05.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Canadian taxi fleets have put over 200,000 miles on cars without expensive repairs. There are some major differences between the sedan and hatchback. On the sedan the AC is driven by the gasoline engine, not the electric motor. The electronics in the later years seem to be better.

Used car prices were very close to the new price when I was buying 6 months ago. Now that the 2007's are being widely discounted it may make more sense to buy new. Get a Carfax report on any used car of interest.

Good luck.

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased a 2005 in October 2004. I drove 30k miles - excellent vehicle earning 60+ mpg after 12k miles. I now drive a 2007 touring because my car was totaled by an unlicensed, uninsured, no seat belt careless and reckless driver in October 2006. The 2005 was an excellent vehicle!

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have been driving my 2004 since January, 2004. There were a couple of recalls to update the software. Those would show up on surveys asking if you'd ever had to have something repaired. But it's in the past and does not reflect any unreliability going forward. There was also a SSB on the fuel filler pipe and the "guess" gauge, which would also show up on surveys.

My one problem was a broken cruise-control stalk, replaced under warranty.

As far as reliability, I think you'd be fine with a 2004. Just check to make sure the recalls were performed. (That would apply to any used car.) I am very happy with mine.

10. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I own a '07. However, if I were buying pre-owned I would buy the '05 for the simple reason that 2004 was the first model year of the current generation. I know this is a Toyota, but usually the first model years of any car have more issues (hidden, minor or otherwise) than successive years. That's just MHO supported by statistical fact. Also, I would make sure to get a Carfax report to make sure the car was nowhere near the Gulf Coast during Hurricanes Katrina/Rita and nowhere near Washington state during the floods they had there. Usually those cars will have an obvious salvage title (plus I'm not sure that the hybrid system would still work after a flood), but shady types to obtain new titles and try to pass the cars off as undamaged. (You probably know all this, but I wanted to give you an extra reminder.)

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think part of the ratings are due to the newness of the Prius, lack of reliability data and some perceived problems by some consumers that simply were either not there or made to seem much more serious than they were.

i should have saved some of them, but some of the newscasts i saw warning of dangerous electrocution hazards if a Prius should ever get in a wreck, although dead serious 3 years ago, is laughable now to think about it.

the general knowledge of hybrids in general was comical to say the least