1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Detroit Auto Show - Impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jerry P, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Got back late last night from Detroit. We spent all day Thursday at the show - it was fantastic!
    Most popular car at the show - Scion xB, a boxy, van-like kid's car from Toyota. I could not believe the number of people waiting to sit in this car. Personally, I think it's kind of ugly. but if one were into personalization of a car, this is the one to do it to.
    Best Technology display - the 'Prius room' at Toyota. It was nice to see all the parts of the Prius/HSD system displayed with cut-away sections. The battery is nothing like I imagined...it is actually a series of about 50 or 60 individual packs. The planetary gear drive is VERY small. It is amazing to think that all power in all aspects of the car are routed through such a small, but complicated, unit. Interesting though that not too many people were taking the time to go through this exhibit, but the car itself was VERY busy with people of all ages.
    Most laughable presentation - GM touting the ' new, exciting, advanced technology' of Variable Valve Timing on some of their engines. Toyota and Honda have done this for several years -it is old hat.
    Ugliest cars on display - Dodge Magnum 'cross-over'. Another heavy brick into the bag dragging Chrysler under again.

It was very interesting that there was very little talk of 'hydrogen fuel cell technology' at the show. GM and Ford both had hybrid displays and presentations that were very well attended. The hybrid system coming out from Ford for the Escape is much lower power (300 vs 500 v) than the Prius, and they were hedging on when this would be available. GM is putting a hybrid system on their large trucks first, but the system is bulky and seems to be just an add-on instead of a total package. People were very interested in hybrid technology overall - I heard MANY comments on the show floor about this being ' the best way to go'.
    Oh yes, it was interesting that there was a 'Hybrid Synergy Drive' badge left on the Toyota FTX concept full-sized truck......It has to scare the hell out of Ford and GM!

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope Toyota sees fit to bring that hybrid system cutaway to Dallas when our turn comes up......

<<drooling heavily, ssshhhooorrrtttiiinnggg kkkeeeeyyybbboooaarrddddddd>>

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

planetary gear set is very small:

how small in diameter is the outer hub and the outer diameter of the planet set and also the inner hub. In the blow up of the tranny of the Classic it looks to be about 4" in diameter is that about the size?

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    One reviewer of the classic Prius (C|Net or ZDNet) stated that it was about the size of a pepsi can. Amazing none the less.

-Rick

6. Frank Hudon

one thing about the way Toyota

has utilized the planetary setup is that there is no shock loading on it, that was the big killer of planetary setups in the old overdrive transmissions. They live behind some very big and powerful ICE's in normal auto trans so as my sister did with my old man's Buick and gave the autotranny a 5grand neutral start behind a 455 cubic inch motor and launched about 5000lbs of car and it all lived is testimony to the longevity of such components. Smaller is not necessarily a bad thing and with modern metalurgy they are probably even more durable. Just a thought.

7. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2004 Detroit Auto Show

I, too, went to the Detroit Auto Show this year. This was my first time going, and man was I impressed! I took about 100 digital pictures, and now I'm starting to make a Windows screen saver out of the good ones that I took. Maybe some time I'll actually post the pictures on my website.

Chris

8. Frank Hudon

did you get any digipix of the

Prius display where the drivetrain was on display. I and probably many others would be interested in them, especially the Power Split Device, CVT, unit. thanks in advance.