1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 may need a battery? (Among other issues...)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dustin92, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had my 2004 Prius for about a year and a half, bought it with 174k on it and now at 204k, hasn't needed a repair to speak of. I change the oil every 5000 miles without fail, using Mobil 1 5/30 full synthetic and a high end Purolator filter. I patched a small hole in the exhaust just north of the muffler this spring and I think that's holding well. Anyway, my battery seems to be slowly failing, I believe it's original. I have noticed it discharging very quickly when parked, and very short drives will drop it to one purple bar and no acceleration power. Charge level is swinging wildly at times. Getting 40-42 mpg most of the time, vs. the 46-48 I was getting a year ago. Dash hasn't lit up yet but I'm waiting, unfortunately. What are my options? I'm a 24 year old guy and broke as a joke most of the time. I know my best option would be a new battery from Toyota but at $3k+ it's out of the question. I also need some exhaust work, not sure where but it's getting pretty noisy somewhere up front, and shocks/struts all the way around. A/C is starting to feel a bit anemic. Other than those issues, it's running great and I still love my Prius! Definitely getting another when I've worn this one out but I don't think it's there yet! Hoping to at least make 250k. I just missed a totalled 2008 Prius for $1000 or less that had all the parts I could have ever needed, between my Dad and I we could have done the work. Any advice would be great, the crazy battery is starting to stress me out :(

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You seemed to a fair grasp of the current Gen 2 battery situation. Since you only want to get another 50K miles out of it (fingers crossed), look into 3rd party rebuilt-with-used-modules batteries from a reputable company that will honor its warranty because the odds are you will use it.

GOOD LUCK!

3. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Any "reputable" companies anyone knows of near lower Michigan? I haven't had to do any real service on it so no clue where to go.. I know the Toyota dealer where I bought it will only install a new battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get a dorman at o'really's. maybe they can recommend an installer.

5. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It seems that Advanced Auto has them the cheapest at $1400. Not sure if you have Advanced in your area.

bisco likes this.