1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004: Message Reads Not in Park

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by pamprius04, Mar 5, 2009.

1. pamprius04

pamprius04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Several times in the past month after running a short errand the display reads "Not in park, move vehicle to flat place...." the car has always been on a flat area (parking lot). Previously I was able to get the car started but the last two times it was overnight before it would finally start. The car does not show it is in Park and all the lights come on but it won't start because of the Park issue. Help!

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you still have your original 12v. battery you probably need a new one. When the 12v. battery starts to go bad you get alot of strange happenings like this.

3. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2004 did this too, it was cured by replacing the 12v battery.

4. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    agree with the previous 2 posters.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Confirm with a voltmeter, or with the selftest procedure given here by jdenenberg (no tools required):
    PriusOnline.com • View topic - how to put 12V battery in sleeping mode?

But yeah, given the age and symptom this sure smells like a 12V battery near death.

If it needs a jump *don't* do it unless you are certain of the procedure, and don't let anyone else do it unless they are legally obligated to repair any damage caused by mistakes they might make. If in doubt have a Toyota dealer send a truck. Doing it wrong can cause thousands of dollars of damage to the inverter or wiring harnesses.