1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 MFD Problem (not quite like you've heard before!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Phaedrus441, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Phaedrus441

Phaedrus441 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys,
    I have an '04 Prius with nav/JBL. Last year I got the dreaded broken connection in the MFD and repaired it myself. Recently, though, a new problem has arisen.

As I drive, the MFD display will turn off (without a backlight or anything, not just a black screen). Button presses will still work, I can still operated the AC, etc. from the steering wheel and music will continue playing (with a brief pause as the screen turns off). Sometimes this will occur but nothing will work (no music, no AC control, etc.). These black-out periods last anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, and may occur a few times per journey (each time the screen comes on, it initially has the Prius logo as through you've just turned the car on.).

I have a lockpick from Coast-e-tech, but removed it fearing that it was the cause of the problem. This hasn't changed the behavior, unfortunately.

What do you guys think? Is it related to my soldering fix from last summer? Have you ever heard of this problem?

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It does sound like an intermittent connection, although I cannot remember enough details of the one Hobbit tracked down to say if the symptoms are the same. Did you look at your old work ?

If you get lazy, I'll guess that '04 used MFDs are inexpensive. Autobeyours would be my first place to shop.

3. Phaedrus441

Phaedrus441 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Guess I'll pull it out and get testing on the original connection; probably not a coincidence that this is happening after repairing it last year.

Thanks for the tip about Autobeyours-- I'll keep them in mind for all the other random parts I need...

Any other ideas?

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good Luck!

FYI -- I looked at autobeyours' policy re: MFD repair. He will not accept a failed MFD that has been worked on by others in exchange.

Here is an Ebay auction for $485. The MFD is for models that did not come with GPS or the Premium Stereo.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    It sounds like the back light has become intermittent. This could be a lose connection. Try resetting all of the connectors.

JeffD