1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Multi Function Display Died

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jjksutton, Jun 9, 2008.

1. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is a post to say thanks to hobbit and everyone else who posted info in the MFD malfunction thread started back in 2004.

My MFD died on Saturday and I jumped on here to figure out what the issue was. I knew the 04's had some MFD issues, and I guess it was my turn.

The early posts in that thread had me thinking I was about to spend $3K, then I read further and found I could get one for about $400 refurbished.

That was a big relief, but then I found a spectactular set of posts and links from hobbit explaining exactly what the problem was. After some trepidation I pulled my car apart and brought the MFD inside. I tore it down, found the pin that hobbit must have searched days for, and decided to try and fix it.

A new $10 soldering iron and about a half hour later, my MFD was resurrected. I'm not expert by any means, but with the excellent link hobbit put together, and some patience, I was able to make it work.

So hobbit, thanks much. If I ever get the chance to meet you, the drinks are on me.

For anyone else who encounters this issue, I would recommend trying the fix. At worst, you'll end up with a broken MFD...which is what you started with.

Here's the link provided previously. Prius MFD

2. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so you just fixed those two connections eh? with what type of solder?

3. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't use any extra solder, but I had some lead free stuff I got at Radio Shack just in case. All I did was heat the joint, you could see the old solder flow a bit, and then put it back together. Still working with no issues...

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Life really is good.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, I read through the whole thing because I have a 2004 and ESPECIALLY since mine does occasionally have a delayed response. I looked at the detailed explanations and thought process and expanded the pictures to full size and I think Hobbit is WACKO. He must have a serious "I ain't letting this thing go" mind set. And thank the Prius deity that he does. :) Could be a good business for him repairing people's minor (once HE figured it out!!) problem rather than having to replace the entire unit for huge money.

Mine is one of the last 2004s to arrive in the U.S. so HOPEFULLY I have the '47081' model. But if not, and mine fails, I'm digging in using Hobbit's great descriptions and pictures.

6. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    you can pop the MFD out and look at the part number on the back if you're really curious...

7. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so if your MFD lags once in while eventually I have to do this fix right?

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    not necessarily just for a minor lag...but outright freezing, esp. if you get the air conditioner message...yea. If you're still under warranty (including extended warranty) however I'd go in and tell them it's been freezing so they'll replace it before the warranty expires.

9. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    flewwww*** scared me! haha its way past warrenty (190,000 km) and it was a salvage prius :)

but i got access to parts... :p

10. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe you can tell which MFD you have via behavior, without taking anything apart: if your display toggles between "energy" and "consumption" when you repeatedly press the INFO button on the wheel, then you have the newer MFD; if it doesn't, then you have the older MFD with the possible failure.

(But please feel free to correct me on this, I'm just going off what I've read here, and hoping like mad that my early-2005 model doesn't suffer from this fate.)

11. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know about that...I don't have an info button on the wheel...

12. Jo_Vincent

Jo_Vincent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The MFD on my wife's 2004 Prius went out on Friday the 13th! She bought the Prius 4 1/2 years ago and it finally went out. Fortunately she has the extended warranty and the Toyota dealer has ordered a refurbished unit ($850). :cool:

13. betty

betty New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi everyone, my MFD has also died, I am in the UK, have had heated discussion with Toyota today and although they admit the screen has failed due to manufacturing error will not replace it for me, they have offered some goodwill but the bill will still be over $2000.00. If anyone in the uk has had the same problem I would be grateful if you would message me. At present after reading threads am considering doing it myself and any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Toyota has certainly gone down in my estimation today.

14. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Betty, just be careful removing the indivudual boards inside the MFD. Take your time, keep a good count on screws, maybe even take pictures as you go in case you forget how it goes back togther. But by taking your time, this is a piece of cake.

Once you get the boards apart, the faulty connector and pin will be easy to find. Get your soldering iron, tin the tip, and go in with a steady hand straight to the pin. Once you get some heat on it you'll see the solder flow. That's it. You can assemble just a few pieces to to a quick ops check. If everything checks out good, close it up and try to hold back the uncontrollable smile.

15. betty

betty New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks so much for the tips JJKSutton, was so mad yesterday as had no idea there was a problem with the MFD's till visited the garage, then googled. It was great to find the forum and get some well needed support. The reason I wanted to hear from anyone who had same problem in UK, is that dashboard is different than US one which is shown in the pictures on instructions!! But your tips are most welcome and it would certainly feel good to fix it myself!! It is also good to know that I am not the only one who feels they have been let down by Toyota. Thanks again.:)