1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Multifunction Display (MFD) problem/lockup = solved!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joules, Jan 20, 2008.

1. joules

joules Junior Member

This is purely informative for other Prius owners.

Over the past few months my MFD has been locking up, going black, becoming unresponsive, etc. In turn this disables the audio system and a few buttons on the steering wheel. This is a problem experienced by a few 04-05 Prius owners.

I lucked out. My local dealer, whom I had never visited, replaced the malfunctioning screen with a rebuilt unit for the cost of labor alone, $180.

How did I get such a good deal?

1) I contacted the dealer and asked for quote on replacing the screen.
    2) I contacted Toyota USA and pleaded my case. My 04 has 60k miles and does not have an extended warranty.
    3) Toyota USA called the dealer and said to replace the screen under a good-faith warranty
    4) The dealer contacted me for an appointment
    5) The work was done and for the past 3 days the MFD has been working properly.

So, if you have trouble with your display, try the steps I listed above. Be patient and detailed. Toyota treated me very well. The local dealer will get business from me again in the future. Kudo's all around!

Jason
    near New Haven, CT

2. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    Do u have a phone number to contact them? This just happened to me today but the dealer wanted $4,300 to replace the screen.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The number for Toyota is (800) 331-4331. It's in your Owner's Manual.

4. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That is the cost of a new MFD and not a rebuilt. I found out that a rebuilt if I was to buy it through the dealer was around 1200, but if they are buying it to put in, it is only 800.

If the problem is the same as mine was. you can fix it... but must be good and careful at taking the MFD apart. What you have to do is resolder a connection pad... search the net for the procedure...

I was lucky I bought the ext. wan.

later

5. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    Thank you so much.Both of you helped me immensely. I appreciate it and will plead my case on Monday. I am a girl but I am tough and can be a b****tch when needed :rockon:

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A