1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Package #4 question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by akastu1nc, May 27, 2009.

1. akastu1nc

akastu1nc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking at purchasing a 2004 Prius. It comes with a option package #4. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what that means. Also, are there any bugs in this model that I should be concerned about.

thanks so much for the help

2. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 04 my second and so far so good :)

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most important: Do a title search. If this is a salvaged car run very far away from it.

There were several Technical Service Bulletins for upgrades to the steering and software. These are free so have them all applied if needed. The 2004 had a design error in the big dash display which causes some of them to fail over time, apparently especially in climates with wide temperature swings or if the dash is allowed to get very hot in the Sun repeatedly.

Reading from the 2004 brochure: Package 4 = intermittent rear window wiper, anti-theft system [a vehicle immobilizer, not an alarm, but an alarm would add very little benefit], autodimming rearview mirror with HomeLink transceiver [garage door opener plus], smart entry and start keying. It does *not* include front and rear side curtain air bags.

Pay a Prius technician to thoroughly inspect the car before buying.