1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prii owners with high mileage any problems??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bob Allen, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: Those of us with 2004 Prii are probably approaching the end of, or are already past warranty. Anyone having any problems? What's your mileage? HUMU is at 28k, averaging about 10k annually. I've heard that Toyota parts are expensive because they are mostly "assemblages" requiring that the owner purchase the whole assembly in order to replace a relatively inexpensive item that is part of the assembly. Anyone know if this is true?

Bob

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at 54k, no problems. I did get the 7yr/100k extended 'just in case' since it was a first year of production vehicle so I take some comfort in that should a problem arise. But I've heard of no issues related to age/mileage yet on any Prii.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Jan 8 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]372621[/snapback]</div>
    in some cases, yes. but not all. i've heard DH explain before how assy A contains parts B, C, and D, all of which are not available individually. but that's not all cases.

haven't had any real horror stories yet over here.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 8 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]372625[/snapback]</div>
    usually but not always the case.

Our trip computer button (the spring) failed on our 02 Camry. We can't have that single button replaced, but rather that whole assembly has to be changed and that'll cost quite a bit.

5. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    45K miles, here, and no problem <knocking on wood>. My automotive parts story involved the driver side window crank on my Corolla (electric windows are for sloths). Couldn't buy just one, had to get the matching set of two: left and right. The passenger side crank sat in the glove compartment until I sold the car and may still be there now, 15 years later, as the car is still running.

6. tag

tag Senior Member

Also knocking on wood with circa 39k miles - no problems. :)

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for moving this thread to the proper forum.

8. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    86,700 Miles
    05' Package 9
    Will be two years old in February

I have just started hearing a rumbling from the front left wheel. It is mostly likely a bad bearing, but I am not yet sure where. I figure it is either a wheel bearing, CV bearing or AHHHH! a bearing in the electric motor! (at least that one is covered by the super extended warranty in CA)

Also, I have had to screw in some of the lower plastic pieces that are designed to produce smooth airflow over the bottom of the car. (mostly because they got caught on parking bumpers)

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan 8 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]372777[/snapback]</div>
    That would be my first choice too. Mine went bad this last summer, though to me it was more of a grinding sound. Also left front wheel ... ironic, no?

Jack up that side, take the wheel off - with the car properly supported of course - then grab the rotor and try to wiggle it. If there is any obvious play, the hub assembly is done. I'd guess a new one to be pricey, as the ABS tone ring assembly is in there as well.

Many new cars and trucks, not just Toyota, use sealed assemblies for things like wheel bearings. No way to repack a bearing, or just replace a bearing and seat for $25. They want you to throw away everything because of one bad part.

Otherwise, my '04 currently has about 78,000km on it.

- Two months old, I had the Stall and it conked out on me when I was northbound on Kenaston near McGillvray. Dealer bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. Otherwise that would have been a bad omen.

-This last summer, the gas gauge was stuck on 1/4. Dealer replaced the cluster assembly, dropped the tank to replace the gauge unit, and also did the TSB for the fuel filler pipe.

The taxi operator in Vancouver BC and locally Duffy's Taxi have had minor issues at +400,000km

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    67k miles here. no problems. nothing major anyways. minor rattles that fade away. my mudflaps are loose and they rattle above 45mph. i'm just too lazy to re secure them.

i'm missing my rear wiper.. my fault.. the car has better habbits than i do.

11. tashome

tashome Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Jan 8 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]372621[/snapback]</div>
    My 04 has ~29,000 mi. The transmission has been replaced twice (at ~3,000 and 28,000). Have had engine noise since 2500 mi that sounds like valves that are not adequately lubricated. Complained to dealer twice and was told there was no problem, just that the small engine has to work hard. The noise occurs at idle, so that explaination does not wash.

12. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    68k here, no problems at all.

13. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    82,000 miles on my '04. A few dash area rattles that come and go. I'm starting to notice some pitting of the windshield, but I count that as normal wear and tear. I'm looking forward to many more trouble-free miles.

14. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    88,000 miles here.. no problems to reports.. it just keeps going.. (and going and going...) :D Sent in an oil anaylsis a couple of days ago.. will report back with the results..

15. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 New Member

My 2004 Prius is running fine, a few interior rattles from time to time, but nothing very annoying, car is at 55K. I have been hearing a little noise from the front left wheel when slowly pulling out of a parking space under EV while turning left, sounds almost like a brake pad gently rubbing on the rotors. Should probably check out the bearings. Are the front bearings problematic on these cars?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 8 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]372806[/snapback]</div>
    Jay,

Thanks for that advice, did you replace yours? If so how much were the parts?

Dennis

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    in this thread there is a good discussion about wheel bearings. parts in the $200 range and labor about 1.5 hours.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maineprius947 @ Jan 9 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]373012[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry I have no idea how much it cost. I had enough warranty left to cover it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tashome @ Jan 9 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]372934[/snapback]</div>
    Care to elaborate on that? The Prius doesn't have a "transmission" in a conventional sense. Just curious what the symptoms were and if this is anything I should be keeping an eye on.

I've changed my PSD fluid twice. There are threads here on used oil analysis of the PSD fluid but overall, I haven't seen any indications of trouble spots. Yellow in Vancouver and Duffy's Taxi here in Winnipeg have put on +400,000km on their Prius taxi's, and the PSD is holding up very well.

The same can't be said for the automatic overdrive in the Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor package taxi's.

Most cars with adjustable valve clearance will make some "ticking" noises at idle. I've owned a 1980 Toyota pickup with the 20 R, or was it the 22 R motor. It made that ticking noise. So did my 1990 4Runner, and my 1992 Honda Prelude.

If you wanted to hear scary motor noises, you should have listened to the Vortec 5.3 in the 2000 GMC Sierra I used to own: KNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCK. GM Canada's response: it's "normal" engine noise, so was burning one litre of oil every 1,000km.

18. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tashome @ Jan 8 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]372934[/snapback]</div>
    Given that these engines don't have hydraulic lash adjusters, they will be a bit noisier. If I recall correctly, the valve adjustment is done by replacing the "worn" or "out of spec" solid lifters with lifters that are properly sized to provide the correct clearance (35 sizes are available per the 2004 Repair Manual). Checking clearance requires removal of the cylinder head cover (and anything in the way per RM). Adjusting the clearance requires replacing lifters which requires removal of the camshafts, measuring lifter wear w/ a micrometer, adding an "out of clearance value" to determine the new size, and installing new parts. All in all, it becomes a bit too involved for the average Saturday mechanic.

At 73,000 miles, my engine is a tad noisy at idle as well - especially at startup when the oil is just starting to flow, but knowing that I can't do a "simple" valve adjustment myself by adjusting a screw and locking nut on the valve tappet, I've learned to live with it.

On a slightly different note, it may be due to winter, winter gas, or the different tires (Goodyear Allegra's), but I've noticed a slight drop in power and a noticeable drop in MPG (low-mid 40's from former low-mid 50's) over the last couple of months. I'm inclined (and hoping for) the 3rd since it seems at times the battery (even when close to full) doesn't give full "umph" when needed. Or... it could be because I've grown used to flying airplanes (student pilot now) and the car just seems slower in comparison ;-)

Otherwise, just the usual noises and rattles that develop in a higher mileage car, including windows and near the speaker areas for bass heavy music. On my third set of tires and second windshield, and have done one PSD fluid change. Other than std maintenance parts, nothing wrong other than the service campaigns associated with a low number VIN. HID lights are still working, brakes still have a substantial amount of life left.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Jan 8 2007, 04:20 PM) [snapback]372621[/snapback]</div>
    Sooo, in other words you went OVER the 36K miles and didn't buy the extended warranty?
    We are still under 50K miles, but the extended warranty already paid for itself with the stuff that needed to be taken care of.

20. tashome

tashome Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 9 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]373141[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius has a "continuously variable transmission" (CVT). The service managers referred to it as "the transmission".