1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius 230,000 miles Hybrid battery still working?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by cowabr, Jan 22, 2013.

1. cowabr

cowabr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 04 just hit 230,000 miles. Never had the hybrid battery replaced or worked on. I bought the car with a little over 200k on it. I am now having trouble determining if the hybrid battery is even working or charging. I believe my 12v battery is toast, so I have a new one on order and will try that first to remedy the problem. The issue I'm seeing is that the info display says I'm only getting around 8mpg sometimes? Not even sure how it could get that poor of mileage even if the hybrid battery died as any little 4 cylinder car like this should be getting up around 30 regardless I would think. Any thoughts from anyone as to how to read the display and tell if hybrid battery is working? I'm not seeing any green bars on the right side of my screen where the the green bars for the battery would normally be.

JMD likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Like to follow this discussion.

I'm not a Master Mechanic or Engineer. Just a thought. Do you have any warning lights on the dash and have you brought the car to a shop to pull the codes and evaluate there meaning?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Without the Hybrid battery the engine cannot start, so if you are driving, it is working. The computers do quite a lot of diagnostics, so most owners first hint there is a problem is the intrement panel lights up with warnings.

JMD likes this.
  4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sometimes the Traction battery can be on it's last legs. The 12V battery is a good start. Pull some codes may help. Let us know how it works out.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once you get a new 12volt put in you can start to figure the status of the traction battery... If it charges up and discharges relatively fast that's a sign of aging... Also if you're comfortable/have experience safely working on cars pull the cover and use a multi-tester on each individual battery cell in the HV package... Each one of these cells need to have close to the same readings... HV batteries tend to die once once once cell starts to go bad, which plays havoc with the other cells/CPU.... I've also read that some on here have dramatically improved HV battery performance simply by testing each cell, tightening each bolt, cleaning any signs of corrosion...

Another consideration is the health of your Catalytic Converter, which may be a warranty item if you're in California. Do more searches on Prius Chat for details on all this... Lots of info on here!

6. cowabr

cowabr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the thoughts. I ordered the 12v battery from Batterymart.com which had a decent deal of $190 with free shipping on the Optima yellow top. Figured I might as well go Optima since the OEM toyota battery was just as much if not more. Problem with Batterymart is that they didn't have it in stock for 2 weeks... My volts were dropping to 11.4 with the accessories on and I believe it should hold steady at 12 so hopefully that will help. Also, leaving my car sitting for more than a day meant coming out to a dead battery, especially in the cold winter weather. I should be getting the battery next week. I haven't tested individual cells on the hybrid nor do I think that is within my realm of mechanic capabilities. No warning lights or anything like that coming on or codes to evaluate from what I can tell. It's simply that the mpg reading on my display screen is showing anywhere from 0 to 8 and up to 32mpg at times, but it isn't reading the typical 42.3 that it is usually at after driving around on the freeway etc. I have about a 200 mile round trip today so will fill up the tank and clear the odometer and see if it gets back to where it's supposed to be.

7. northcoaster

northcoaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do we "pull the cover" on the HV battery? I've some experience working on aircraft and have a good Fluke digital meter and have an '06 w/123k mi and would love to test the cells and see how they are doing, Thanks, Lynn

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The MPG's of any car will fluctuate. If you are in warmup and you creep around parking lots you will see single digit miles per gallon. If you are stopped but the engine is on, you are getting 0 miles to the gallon. The instantaneous readout is just that, instantaneous. The only one that counts is the average mpg.

42mpg for an original traction battery is not too shabby. Not great, but not bad.

10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you mean "How do we pull the cover" because you looked at it and can't figure it out then maybe steer clear of this project because HV can kill you if you do something goofy. But if you mean "How do we pull the cover" because you'd like to research DIY threads and Jimbo's link to disassembly before you begin because you understand the value of knowing the procedure backwards and forwards before you start then go for it, I'm sure it'll be easy work for 'ya!

You can usually find YouTube videos for stuff like this... Luscious Garage has a particularly nice channel of Prius repair and inspections videos. Also here's a couple links that look promising:

HV battery testing | PriusChat
    http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10289/5714/PriusBatteryRebuildability-LeijenScott2011.pdf

11. sjr14221

sjr14221 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    i am having doubts about my 2004's hybrid battery, too. 240,000 miles, new 12 volt battery, no codes. but car seems sluggish, and i've lost about 8 mpg. I could drive aregular car or a honda if i am only going to get 40 mpg. thinking about trading it in for a newer used prius while i can still get maybe $3,000 for it.

JMD likes this.
  12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It might be close to death. You can get a full health reading from a Toyota Dealership.

As to getting 40mpg in a "regular car"... Yeah right. The 40mpg claims are with the test cycle on the flat highway at low speeds. For Fusion hybrid doesn't even get 40mpg in real life. The "eco boosts" are below 40 in real life too. The Prius is rated at 50 and most people get 50. Some get 40's, some get 60's. The other cars are rated at 40, and nobody gets 40. On fuelly, not a single person.

13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    240,000 Miles many reliable years. I would trade it in while it works and before you put more money into it and get a New Prius. Be carefull of the used ones, many are in the market that were flooded with Hurricane Sandy and have damage.

sjr14221 and PriusGuy32 like this.
  14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you like the rest of the car as-is, pay a dealer to diagnose the hybrid battery. If it is failing it can be replaced for about $2k. Cheaper and much more certain than swapping the car for anything else.

15. sjr14221

sjr14221 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    on the one hand, $2000 is a lot less than $16000. but mine is a 2004 with other issues. steering wheel controls dont work, needs new wiring harness for abs/vsc system, its been in an accident - i seem to spend $300/month on failed parts. Shallow as it may be, i think i really hesitate because i want the tideland pearl color. sigh...

JMD likes this.
  16. sjr14221

sjr14221 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have found a used 2010 pkg four. this is a local vehicle. all service has been done at my dealer svc dept.

JMD likes this.
  17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey buddy you got your monies worth. Start shopping for a new car. No sense throwing good money at a bad car.

sjr14221 likes this.
  18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How many miles on it?

Will they give you the 3K for the trade in on the used car?

Does it include a dealer paid extended warranty?

Try and get em down in price below Blue Book
    Official Kelley Blue Book New Car and Used Car Prices and Values

Check the spare tire well for rust. That is a sign of Sandy water damage.

19. sjr14221

sjr14221 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the advice!

JMD likes this.
  20. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No problem. It was forward of me though. Good to throw you plan up against scrutiny to get a few opinions sometimes.