1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius a good buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Javier, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Javier

Javier New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!

Here is the car info and price, this will be my first Prius and I hope some one can let me know if this is a good deal!

2004 toyota prius
    mileage: approximately 84,000
    color: silver exterior/gray interior/black dash
    carpool stickers: YES - certified until december 2011

additional features: GPS, cruise control, power doors/windows, front/side airbags,
    keyless entry, bluetooth activation, 6-disc in-dash CD
    changer, am/fm radio/cassette player,
    JBL speakers, and cargo net

accident history: YES - one accident that happened in late 2004 when the car had 5,000 miles;
    front and rear ends were repaired. car has NOT displayed any problems since that time relating
    to the accident. paperwork can be provided on the repair.

maintenance: up to date with all service work conducted at official certified toyota service
    departments (it just received its latest scheduled service check/tune-up at 82,000 miles).

asking price: $13,000 or best offer

Thanks in advance, looking forward to learn a lot from this forum in the years to come.
    -J

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the car has been well-cared for. I hope that you took the car for a relatively long test drive - 30-45 minutes, on both highways and city roads, so that any weirdness has a chance to manifest itself.

Also note the indicated mpg on the MFD as that can be a good indicator of overall drivetrain health. Should be at least in the low-40s, with 100 miles or more of history.

I suggest you use kbb.com and edmunds.com to help you decide whether the price is good. Then you have to decide how much value solo access to the carpool lanes for one year has to you. The CA carpool stickers will expire on January 1, 2011.
    Clean Air Stickers - High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lane Usage

3. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 Senior "Jr" Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello, I also bought a 2004 used, with a one accident history. I have had mine just under a year now and have not had a single problem.

Mine had 56K, and is fully loaded as the one you are contemplating sounds like it is. I am assuming you are getting all your information from a Carfax report. This will include visits to dealers as well as registrations and emission inspections.

I purchased mine through an eBay auction and paid considerable less. The blue book on this model (for my part of the country-private party sale) is about $12,500.00.

I would have bought another type of vehicle if I had to pay more than about $11K. Unless you put on 15-20 thousand miles a year the gas savings is not enough to offset the higher cost you will pay. (You have to decide on the value of car pool lane usage--It doesn't apply here.)

They are nice cars, but there may be other small cars with excellent mileage that suit you as well. I would compare cars that get about 35 MPG (such as a Corolla, which I own also and is a great car) to what you will pay for this Prius.

I searched for about 5-6 months on eBay and local dealers before I found a GREAT deal on mine. But I was ready to buy another make or model since the Prius is not always the best value.

Good luck

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The above statement could potentially open up a lot of responses here... As many of stated here, the Corolla doesn't even compare. Besides the Corolla being a compact car (per the EPA) vs. the Prius being a midsized car w/more cargo versatility, there are tons of features on the Prius that aren't available on the Corolla at all.

As for "about 35 mpg", FWIW, per Side-by-Side Comparison, an automatic 04 Corolla (after conversion to MY 08+ EPA method) is rated 25/34, 28 mpg combined vs. 48/45, 46 mpg combined.

5. Javier

Javier New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot for all the advise! I like the prius a lot and allways wanted to buy one. This opprtunity came up and I was wondering if the price was a good deal or if I should wait and look for a newer model like an '06 or '07. I was reading the forums people saying that after '06 the prius got a better display and other improvements. I was wondering how much of a difference they make. The person who is selling the car is a friend of a friend who I trust and he is moving and has the need of selling the car, that's why I was considering buying the car this week after reading you guys opinion :) my work is 40 minutes away each way and I drive a lot. At the ment o own a 2000 Celica with over 200 thousand miles on it and I think I should start looking for a replacement!