1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius and Warranty has run out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JudithLynne, Oct 18, 2011.

1. JudithLynne

JudithLynne New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure what to do. I have a 2004 Prius which has given me no problems. I have taken it to the Toyota dealership since I purchased it in October 2004. It has just over 60,000 miles
    I found out that my warranty expired on October 9th and my car is now totally unprotected. I do not have extra cash for big repairs - nor any knowledge of how to do anything myself.
    The dealership is having this huge buy back event and want my Prius. If they bought it back I would not take less than $9,000 - although I am sure in a private sale it is worth more - maybe up to $11,000. I don't know what to do. Do I sell it to the dealership and they said they will give me a good deal on a used car which will come with 10 years/100,000 mile warranty. It more than likely will not be a Prius as that would be too expensive. I don't want to make payments.
    I don't know if I can purchase another warranty from somewhere else.
    Ahhh, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would keep driving it, and start making car payments to a savings account each month. (If you can afford to fuel a lesser MPG car, you can afford to put the same amount in savings) If, as I suspect, nothing major happens until 200,000 miles +, you will have enough stored away to handle it.

Spend $100 now for a transaxle (transmission) fluid change, then at 120,000 miles do it again, and change the spark plugs.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...MS0011/pdf/01omsour/2004/schedmai/04w1smt.pdf

If you are still on the original 12 battery, accept that it is on borrowed time. Some day it will cost you $200 to replace it. How are the tires?

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check with the dealer exactly what type of car you could get for an even trade. A true (everything properly covered) 10 year 100,000 miles warranty on a $9000 used car sounds a bit too good to be true to me.

Be sure to read the fine print. My dealer gave me a 3 year warranty on my S/H prius, but when I read the details it only covered repairs up to $1000 and all services had to be done by that particular dealership (at totally rip off prices). I basically could have torn up that warranty as it was useless to me.

4. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Totally agree with Jimbo's advice. Keep up the maintenance and drive your Prius for many more trouble-free years.

Besides, why would you trade a car that you know and trust for somebody else's used car with an unknown history?

The "fine print" of most warranties generally exclude the failures that are most likely to occur. They sound good but are, in reality, of little value.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have one of the most reliable and economical cars ever built. There's maybe $600 worth of work that you might need to have done in the next couple years: transaxle fluid change, engine water pump, and 12V battery. It is impossible to tell how long the engine water pump will last, but once you notice a leak you can usually let it go for a paycheck or two as long as you monitor the coolant level. It should last you until 100,000 miles without any major problems (engine, transmission, inverter, hv battery)

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Join a local group,
    Learn basic maintenance,
    Tell the dealer to take a hike, save the money for future costs

Keep the car
    Start saving for a new one in 5 - 10 years

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do Not trade in that car! The dealer *will* make a profit on the deal, which means you *will* come out with less value than you have now.

Do what the others wrote: keep driving it. Have routine maintenance done (just the things shown in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide or at this website Toyota Parts and Service , not what some dealer wants to sell you) and save up, either for major repairs that may never come, or for your next car.

Mine is almost exactly the same age and mileage as yours. At our rate it might be another 10 or 15 years before they need replacement.