1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MNTech, Oct 5, 2013.

1. MNTech

MNTech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday I drove through a flooded street, only 2-3 inches deep, but when I was driving through the check engine light, red triangle, and vsc light illuminated. The engine quite immediately, but still drove off battery. Stopped the car and restarted it which the engine started working again. Drove 200 miles back home with no noticeable problems. Today(10/5/13) I powered up the prius to find only the check engine light on. Used my scanner which read the codes: P0103 and P3190. Also noticed some white smoke coming from the exhaust. Question is, should I reset the codes and see if they come back or is there something more to be concerned about? Thanks!

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Googling those codes reveal mass air flow sensor and engine start problems. Could be you got some water into critical areas, but I am guessing. Lots of info online if you google "Prius DTC PXXXX" without the quotes.

DTC P0103 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit High Frequency

I would also say that the P3190 was set when the engine quit due to the malfunction of the mass air flow sensor.

White smoke usually means coolant burning in the combustion chamber. Found that too by googling white smoke in exhaust.

You might want to let a trusted mechanic check out your car and give you professional advice. That does not mean take it to the dealer, but rather a good gear head you know and trust.

I would think you could clear the codes and go from there. If the problem still exists with the mass air flow sensor, the code should set again and light the CEL. The white smoke is another thing though, hence asking your trusted mechanic for his opinion.

How many miles on your car? Were you driving fast or slow in the water?

MNTech likes this.
  3. MNTech

MNTech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the detailed response! I cleared the codes earlier and have been driving throughout the day. Codes haven't came back. The white smoke seemed to have went away, checked coolant levels to see if they're down, but found it to be still on the full mark.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The "white smoke" was probably mostly water vapor, it should be ok once everything dries out. When I think I've got too much water somewhere it shouldn't have gone in a car, I like to take it for a good spirited highway drive. A bit of ethanol added to the tank (unnecessary with E10 of course) and let everything get nice and hot and dry.