1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius cold weather brake problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ANNE PIAZZA, Feb 18, 2013.

1. ANNE PIAZZA

ANNE PIAZZA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I own a 2004 Prius with 151,000 happy miles on it. Recently, in very cold weather (25 degrees or less), all of the brake indicators go on along with the high pitched ringing. I managed to get the car to a dealer (at night). The next morning, there were no codes in the car, and the brakes worked fine.
    The situation occured again about two weeks later (20 degrees). After driving the car for approx. 15 minutes, all indicators went off as if nothing was wrong and brakes worked fine. Has anyone had this problem? When this happens, brakes definitely are impaired (difficulty stopping, stiff pedal etc...)

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Although this may not be the cause, are you still on your original 12 volt? If yes, it's definitely at end of life now.

Please run the test at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat MANY hours or overnight. Please tell us the 3 values (not just 1). Don't go changing the battery first until you tell us the values...

If you have HIDs, you can avoid unnecessary cycles on the lights by toggling between off and parking light positions.

Weird stuff can start happening w/a low or bad 12 volt. Don't waste $ on having a dealer "test" the 12 volt (07 Prius Dead - Any Guesses? | PriusChat).

What do you mean by "all of the brake indicators go on"? Are you talking about warning lights? Which ones? Any message on the MFD? My 1st wild nice person guess would be a bad brake actuator, but that would suck as it's really expensive to replace. I'll let the repair experts (not me) chime in.

If you finally get to the bottom of this w/an actual correct fix, it might be worth filing a safety complaint at Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is very strange. If any brake warning lights are on <such as ABS, VSC, and/or ((!))> then the skid control ECU is supposed to log the appropriate DTC and retain the fault codes even if 12V battery power is lost. Perhaps the problem is with the skid control ECU itself.

I suggest the next time this happens during business hours, that you make every effort to immediately proceed to your local Toyota dealer, show the service writer the warning lights, and ask that the DTC be immediately read by a tech to ensure they are not lost when the car is powered down.