1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Display is dead, Hard to shut car off sometimes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hardish, Oct 29, 2015.

1. hardish

hardish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 2004 Prius with 150K miles. All of a sudden, display went dead. A/C controls working fine but other half of MFD is not responding. It was also difficult to turn car off. Took several attempts and finally was able to turn car off. My Prius does not have GPS in it. Car starts and runs fine otherwise.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The speedometer part that is dead is called the combination display, if you want to do some more research into it. There was an extended warranty put out for it, but you're past the deadline with a 2004. To turn off the car, holding the power button for a few seconds should do the trick.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes this is almost undoubtedly the combination meter problem which many Gen2 have. It is guaranteed for 9 years, special allowance because the pat is known to go bad. I just went over 9 years too so when it happens I am in the same boat.